Picture yourself in a nursing home?

Is it pretty?

• Lynn
    Favorite Answer

It's about as realistic a picture as picturing me on top of Mt. Everest. Neither one is going to happen.

Check out the equivalent to a nursing home which is rotting away at an old age in a rundown NSW department of housing flat and of course U would prefer to jump off the top floor of the nearest high rise & leap to Ur death as the easy way out rather than suffer Regional Neglect and abuse. Nursing homes is paradise specially catholic run as U give them all U have including the house & assets they will pray for U. Rot In Department Of Housing is pure hell on earth U have no law, no rights, no community for U to be part of where worst of all U R not allowed to complain at all and public has the right to abuse U uncondionally....... worst of all corrupt greedy charities no longer care for the old close their services to justify neglect and duty of care and U R worried about nursing homes, tell me now what’s the definition of insanity?

Source(s): Truth so help me GOD
  • daisy

That will be my route in the future and I have made up my mind that I will be happy there. We have 2 nursing homes in the area and they both are very good.

I wouldn't want to die in my apartment and have people discover me a month later. I have no family to speak of or anyone who cares, so a nursing home would become my new family.

• E. M

I hope to not live long enough to need one. I don't need to picture one, I've visited a few and worked, briefly, in one. Money is the only thing important to the owners if it is a privately run one. Nursing care went downhill rapidly in U.K. when local authorities stopped running them and they all became private businesses. Care homes of all types are the dregs. They are not all for elderly people. There are thousands of them for people with learning disabilities and these people bring in a huge fee from the government to pay for the carers but staff is always in short supply making it look as if the owners like to take the money but not spend it on staff.

When my mother broke her hip, and said that she wanted to go home, her consultant said "You will not be going home. When you leave here you will be going to a nursing home because you cannot look after yourself anymore." She was distraught and almost hysterical. My siblings found her in a dreadful state and told her that she had been lied to and they got her home. She then had home carers visiting her. We found out later that the consultant in question runs a string of nursing homes!!! Interesting indeed. It made us wonder if his 'guests' were actually 'conscripts' with no-one like my siblings to fight for and speak up for them.

If the room were large and I could decorate the way I want to it would be ok with me. It would be nice to have someone else cook my meals and clean my room. The new homes are very pretty and modern. We have one that opens this month. Nurses around the clock and there is a cafe that is open all night for those who are night owls.

• Mags

I'd rather die. I can see no point in prolonging life when life is so bad that we can no longer do anything the way we wish to do them. I would not even wish to have to be looked after by loved ones but to be placed in a home and be 'looked after' by miserable carers (who all wish they could do a different job) in a home run by a very greedy owner, would be a fate worse than death.

We, as a species, are definitely living too long if all we have to look forward to us a nursing home.

• MizzB

Strangely enough, the ones that are "pretty" are the ones I'd rather NOT be in. Decent nursing homes - often run by churches or other benevolent groups - spend all their spare money on staff to look after the residents. The furniture is often a bit worn, and the pictures on the walls don't always match. But there are sufficient staff to look after you.

The privately-owned ones, run entirely to profit the owners, will always put matching "decorator" pictures on the walls and luxurious-looking furniture in the rooms . Entirely to impress the vulnerable families into feeling less guilty about the situation. And where are the staff ? Oh , well they are few and far between , always run off their feet and never available to look after you.

Give me a homely, friendly, church-run place any day . I've worked in dozens of them, and I've seen enough to convince me .

They aren't all bad. My mom (by her own choice) spent her final months in a nice one. They brought her 3 nice meals every day plus a couple of snacks. There were fun activities and the staff were all very kind and considerate. I'd rather have a roof over my head than be on the street. They also helped her bathe and get to the bathroom. Some days that sounds pretty good to me.

I picture myself not in a nursing home.

When it became impossible to care for my mother who lived with us, we placed her into a home. Fortunately it was a decent one, close by. We visited her at least 2x/wk.

However, it's sad. Few are mobile, some family members don't visit, some don't have family at all.

• jonds

A resident of our local nursing home was recently fined $400 for smoking marijuana in the parking lot, I think smoking weed would make the stay better.

• Laredo

I would rather not picture myself in a nursing home, being stuck in a room watching television all day just does not appeal to me. I realise that some people have no choice but to enter a nursing home but hopefully it will not be a choice for me.