Ani asked in HealthDental · 7 years ago

I'm Getting braces soon. I'm excited/ Nervous.. I would please appreciate some advice ?

Hello:)

I'm 16 years old turning 17 in November and on September 24th in a few days:D 'm getting metal braces on the top and bottom teeth's:) IT will cost 8900$ for two years and i was wondering what the procedure is for getting the braces on? and what i should know about braces and the food ? and if the hurt ? and also do you usually get colours on your first time?Thank you very much:)!!

Favorite Answer

You first go in and they take a mould of your teeth. They then get the sucker thing to make your mouth really dry, then they put the glue on your teeth, and then carefully add the brackets and bond it with a special light. You have to wear a lip/ cheek retractor. After that, you may have another appointment to put the wires on (that's when you get the colours) I would recommend, pink, or red. blue turns, green and purple turns brown so I would recommend not getting those colours. They use special clipper things to slide the wires through the brackets and then they tighten the wire. It takes 50 minutes for the brackets and 20 mins for the wires. Your teeth will ache afterwards for about 5 - 7 days, but does not hurt when it is being done. Try to eat soft foods such as mash, soup, etc. Avoid chewing gum (although sugar free is usually ok) Don't eat hard toffees as this will break your brackets. After a while your teeth will get used to the braces and you will feel nothing. You will have to go to appointments every six months or so, so they can check how your braces are doing and you can call before hand if you braces get broken in anyway. The ortho will also tighten the wires when they check the braces. Well that is basically it! Hope this helped!

Source(s): 11 months of braces :)

Hey ever heard beauty is pain? I am 30 and I just got braces in January. Yeah they hurt a little, but I guess that would depend on your pain tolleration level. A little ibuprofren helps alot. and the spacers, they are these rubber band like deals that they will put between the back molars that they are going to band for the braces. It helps so they can slide the band on easy. The spacers hurt a little, but not much. They put a new pressure on your teeth and your mouth isn't used to it. Also when you get the braces you will become best friends with wax for the first little while. The ortho will explain. And get some anbesol, cuz you will get cankers from the bands in the back. But that only last a little while. After that it's really smooth sailing. They will hurt a small bit each time you get them tightened, but again ibuprofren helps. And the results will be magnificent. I guarantee it will be worth it. especially when you flash the world your beautiful new SMILE!=) Good Luck dear.

I have the clear ones and how they put it on...search it on youtube. Plus when you get them on it doesn't hurt. When they will put those rubber bands you will just feel pressure on your teeth. After about 30 minutes or an hour. (Different for everyone) you will feel pressure on your teeth and they will be very sensitive to whatever you eat. So for about a week you will be like that. Eat soft foods like mashed potatoes and yogurt. I was just drinking smoothies all the time. They will tell you things about the food. So yeah, they wont hurt, mine did a little bit when they got those metal things on the back of the teeth and I had to bite. Was not comfortable. Just remember that they will be sensitive. :) after 2 weeks you would be able to eat anything. I was able to eat small carrots in about 3 weeks.

Get normal braces and express your colors ^_^ make sure to brush 3 times a day and brush really well even before braces reasons because so there will be no problems ^_^ i had braces so avoid popcorn and pomagranate seeds it broke a few brackets and make sure to purchase super floss to floss since there will be easier places for food and plague and bad breath to form. Trust me i didnt do good and i had awful breath and brush that tounge! Talk to dentsit for more advice too! Have fun and keep in the elastics every day so you bite inproves mine didnt cau i forgot to u the elastics :/

Source(s): Experience for 3 years

Take a pain killer a soon as u get home cuz its gonna hurt u badly later so if u take it before the pain will be less painful