Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 7 years ago

Is it impossible to become a tv/film actor?

I know you've heard this before, I wanna be a actor, be famous, be a singer and all that, but my real passion is acting. But I have a problem, I live in the 5th smallest city in CANADA 5 hrs from any agency!! And my local theatres last play was 4 years ago, and yea I was in it. Should I go to college for tv/film, or theatre?? Or neither and try to work fro scratch with an agency? I am willing to wait tables, do anything to pay the bills to make sure I can get a chance. Also I'm 6hrs from Toronto which is where I thought should go, or should I go to NY or L.A., please help!! Any advice will help, thanks in advance

• Isabel
    Favorite Answer

Don't go to NY or LA - there are thousands of hopeful actors there, the competitions is enormous. Now, getting to a larger community where you had opportunities to act would be better. But, have you considered starting your own theater company? Actors need to act - it doesn't matter where or how, they just need to keep doing it.

You don't say whether you are still in school. If you are, start a drama group. If you are out of school, then start to put feelers out for relocating. You could simply start by taking a week and visiting a city to check things out, see if it would be a good fit for you, see what opportunities there are.

Actors don't need to be in Hollywood, that's just not the way it works. Russell Crowe was as far from Hollywood as a body could be. And most name actors started acting in their hometowns or in college. You need a foundation and you can't put up a strong building without one. All the early work takes place away from the spotlight. It takes place in workshops and small stages in small towns all around the world.

So many well-known actors came from Canada - Jim Carrey, Michael J Fox, Brendan Fraser, Matthew Perry, Michael Cera, Nathan Fillion, Neve Campbell, Ryan Gosling, Mike Myers ... well, just to name a few. Ever hear of Ladysmith? That's where Pamela Anderson came from, a town of about 7900.

Steps, one in front of the other. Most people don't make big leaps, they are rare and they usually happen quite by a fluke happening so it's more serendipity than taking a huge leap. Work on your craft in any way you can even if you have to make it yourself.

First work on becoming a talented actor then fame will follow.

Yes you have to move to a theatrical or production town (Hollywood, New York, ((although the last time I worked in Television it was a tiny little berg in Georgia))

And yeah you have to wait tables, take crap parts and keep at it.

If you want to know a very good vocal coach try to visit https://tr.im/5VVED an online vocal coaching tutorial. Everything, ranging from breathing fundamentals, vocalizing exercises, techniques on singing high and low notes, how to not go off-key/out of tune/off-sync, musicianship and music theory, proper diction and articulation, and a lot more are covered, all in our native language. It can be quite technical in nature, but it really helps since it covers the musical aspect of singing deeply and not just concentrates on how to impress people with your vocal range, riffs and runs and other cliches that do not necessarily make one a complete vocalist.

Sweetheart you just have to believe in yourself. I was like that but not committed enough to do research,apply for something and to organise the travel to the agency. if you really want to do you need to commit yourself to it by calling up the agency and talking about the jobs and how to starting our career.

The next step is to if you get a audition or they want to see you, organised he trip to the agency.

Good Luck with your future, I hope to see you on the silver screen soon. :P And wish you the best on any job you get.

You'd be better off in NY or LA but you will need training.