jordan
jordan asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

Question for Mormons: How can two people of the same faith have such different views on politics?

I know I get a lot of flack for claiming to be a Christian Liberal, from some that say that one cannot be a Christian and a Liberal, however I believe that Christians make the best Liberals and vice versa. However, my question is this, listening to Mike Lee and Harry Reid, both practicing Mormons, both are on extreme ends of the Obamacare fight, with Lee wanting to take away health care from 30 million Americans while Reid would like to provide greater opportunities for Americans to obtain affordable health care. Can Mormons explain this?

• j p
    Favorite Answer

Countless employers cut hours and deny healthcare as a result of Obamacare legislation because it is cheaper to hire less people and/or pay fees for not providing medical care. Hard to afford healthcare if you don't have a job. Unions, special interests, congress and their staff, the president and his staff have all requested exemptions. Lee believes rightfully that Obamacare is flawed and a job killer. Lee's constituents don't like Obamacare.

Reid believes that Obamacare will provide American's the opportunity to buy healthcare. This is true previously if you had a kidney transplant when you were in High School (like my wife) if your employer didn't provide healthcare there isn't an insurance company that would sell it to you no matter how much you paid. And if you ever lost your job it wouldn't matter if your next employer provided insurance you still didn't qualify because of "pre-existing conditions". Children can now stay on their parent's plan till age 26 where previously like a lot of my colleagues at school if you got married at 21 you had no insurance and prayed nothing happened until you graduated. Reid believes rightfully that Obamacare provides opportunities for Americans. Reid's constituents, well I don't know it's hard to say, Reid won with a very low voter turn out he won with a small percentage of the vote he was and incumbent and he ran against Sharron Angle who is... controversial, but whatever.

The church doesn't dictate to it's members what side of political issues they should fall on. And consequently members of the church don't always find themselves on the same side of an issue. And often as is the case with Obamacare it's far more complicated than it's just good or it's just bad. Despite our feelings about Obamacare we still have a mandate from Christ to love one another.

• Elsie

We don't all think alike, that's how Harry Reid and Mike Lee have such different political views. Did you think that Mormons were all brainwashed to not think a certain way or something?

How can you understand why not all "Christians" as you put it will have the same political views and then be surprised at members of another religion having opposing political views?

• rac

You ask a valid question which I have asked myself on a number of occasions. "Mormons" are typically conservative in their political outlook. Some go liberal. I don't understand how they can espouse the liberal agenda when it flies in the face of individual freedom from the conservative perspective. However, it does seem to me that the liberal agenda of having the government take better care of the people is a seductive philosophy that makes people think that this is in accordance with Christian doctrine. It is not because it enslaves the people into becoming dependent upon the government instead of becoming self-sustaining. All men should be productive in their own sphere and learn to provide for their own. They can't do that if the government is always providing for them instead of encouraging productivity from the people. The conservative philosophy is the traditional work ethic. That is agreeable to the Christian mind-set. Then, and only then, when we work and suffer setbacks, do we extend charity to those in need, because we love our neighbor as ourselves, we assist those who suffer for no fault of their own. The idler has no claim on the garment of the laborer.

Harry Reid is the exception to Mormon politics. Mitt Romney is the more common example.

What is it that you wish to be explained?

Reid has one point of view. Mike Lee has another. Each votes and each has their vote recorded by their local government leaders.

This is not a moral issue - the hospitals in the US don't turn away poor people, they treat everybody whether or not they can pay for the treatment - some get better treatment than others but that's not inequality or rights, it's inequality of services.

I was born in England and have experience socialized medicine in 3 different countries that I've lived in and been hospitalized in - it's not all that it's cracked up to be; I'm very much against the idiocy of our government in cramming this failed system down our throats. The major benefit is in world relations, we will be hated less as we will no longer have the #1 health care program on earth.

Sometimes I disagree with my wife on certain issues, and I'm sure we love each other much more than Harry Reid loves Mike Lee...

No one will agree with another person 100% of the time, that's why you take a candidate and you vote for the one that you agree with 50.0% of the time rather than voting for the candidate that you agree with 49.9% of the time.

• Deino

Obamacare is a money issue for some and a compassion issue for others.

For cons like me, I see the compassion as a waste.

Obamacare is meant to help people, but it's just going to screw the country.

To me, if I am to use a metaphor, it appears to be eating seeds instead of planting them. We're happy for a day, and then everybody dies tomorrow.

But some religious folks believe that it is worth it to feed the people the seeds, and hope that, like bread and fish, God will provide. End the suffering now, so to speak.

But I believe that the Bible displays a very elegant mix of God intervening at times, but mostly allowing mankind to utilize our God-given world with wisdom. There is obviously hunger, pain, suffering - sin.

Sin is real. Jesus forgave us, but we still live in this mortal coil, subject to it. We cannot obliterate it on our own, and it is more important to help others to be saved from it.

In the meantime, we should be planting our seeds, and making way for a better future. Not gorging ourselves into famine and then demanding that God fix everything, since that is just as faithless, in my opinion.

It wasn't until Harry Reid that I thought it might not be such a good thing that we encourage freedom of thought.

But we are what we are, and conscience, when used, is a good thing.

Some people believe that once charity is enforced, it is no longer charity. Others disagree, and believe it is totally appropriate to steal from one man to give to another. Which are you?

• Lenny

It might come a a shock, but two Jews, two Muslims, two Buddhists and even two Christians might also disagree.

Religion only dictates the politics of fools.