Seniors, what is your interpretation of the Hump Day TV commercial?

I did post this before and it was explained to me what Hump Day is but I still dont understand a couple of things. I dont know what product they are advertising but I am sure it has nothing to do with the story.

1. Why do the office workers ignore the camel when he wants their attention and speaks to them

2. Why are the office workers so miserable if it is Hump Day

It bugs me because TV commercials dont make sense any more. They never actually extol the virtual of the product but create an imaginary situation. I dont get it.

OLDMAN: I remember what THAT means. I am asking about the purpose of the characters in the ad. I said I was told what Hump Day is, I dont need more explanations of that.

CAL LETTUCEHEAD: Well, you did explain things quite well but it does not seem funny at all. I like the camel and feel bad no one wants to talk to him. I would never know the camel does that every week. It wasnt explained in the commercial. Nothing is explained. Thats what is so disconcerting to me.

The camel is trying to get their attention and I dont see why they wont talk to him. He is pleading with them.

NITE OWL GRACIE: Im glad you mentioned that ad. I like the pig in the back of the car with his pinwheel and saying Wheeeeeee ! but again, why are the mother and son so sullen and grouchy about it. You'd think they would be happy that the pig is having fun. It bothers me tremendously. They changed the look of the pig in other commercials but I still dont know why a pig was used. The ad still makes no sense.

CHEMOANGEL: I see but that seems a rather convoluted way of advertising a product, whatever product it was. The people are annoyed because the camel is happy announcing it is Wednesday. Okay. Very odd. Two guys with a guitar singing does not tie in to the storyline. It is really an awful commercial but I am trying to understand the psychology of it.

Many good answers. I dont think these commercials are amusing at all. Just idiotic.

CHARLES: I didnt see a customer in this ad and thanks for explaining the camel is happy because it is closer to the weekend and the workers are grouchy because they still have two more days to go.

ONE MORE COMMENT: In conclusion, I dont see what the camel or the office workers have to do with auto insurance.

CHARLES, FOLKLORE: Thanks for explaining the symbolism of the ad. I really never understood how the mood of the office workers and the camel's efforts to talk to them had anything to do with auto insurance.

• Lynn
    Favorite Answer

It's one of a slew of Geico Commercials. They're the same people who brought us the Geico Gecko, the "So easy, a caveman can do it" commercials, and a few that flopped.

The question comes after the humor. "How happy are Geico customers" "Happier than a camel on Hump Day."

This goes along with "Happier than the Pillsbury Doughboy on a baking convention," "Happier that a witch in a broom factory," and a long line of their humorous commercials.

As for the reaction of the office workers? How would you react if a coworker made a big deal about Wednesday like that every single Wednesdays for years on end? Haven't you ever had a coworker who did the same joke way past it being funny? If not, you were lucky.

I like it. If I were a coworker, I'd be following the camel and trying to get the coworkers to lighten it. I must admit, the funniest part is simply watching the camel walk. The legs and fet are funny looking. It's the first time I ever noticed how they walked when they aren't on sand.

None on the Geico commercials make me want to buy Geico. The fact remains, the type of insurance I use is cheaper then them. BUT (except for the cavemen commercials--never did like them), I usually don't pay attention to commercials, but I'll stop what I'm doing to watch one of those. They're funny and certainly beat a string of commercials about obnoxious car salesmen trying to swindle gullible people into buying one of their cars.

It's funny. It's simply funny.

The connection that you have missed is the fact that the camel is happy because it is hump day often called wednesday or starts on Wednesday and the fact that there is only 2 more days until the weekend( in which he does not have to work)

The commercial is for Geico insurance and the customer s is happy that they have geico as a insurance company , just as the camel is happy for wednesdY being hump day.

The camel is bugging everyone in the office and he seems to be the only one happy and everyone else is sullen because there is still 2 more days left until the weekend.

The commercial is for Geiko, an insurance company. Both of your questions have basically the same answer. If you've ever worked in an office, the answer is readily apparent.

It's not that the workers are miserable because it's Wednesday. It's just that that damn camel is a one-note samba. He has probably been doing the same thing every Wednesday for years and years. That's why they ignore him and why they seem so miserable. Because he KEEPS ON DOING IT long after it's funny. And that's what make the ad work. I crack up every time I see it.

Geiko commercials rarely make sense, but they make a brand out of their antics, so you can pretty much tell when a commercial belongs to them, and that's why they are so successful.

Just wanted to add that my husband had a colonoscopy last week. It was performed by a Dr. Cammel. Of course, that made one of the nurses bring up the Geiko commercial - and of course, it was performed on a Wednesday. We all had a good laugh over that. I'm sure the nurse tells that joke everytime Dr. Cammel performs that invasive procedure on a Wednesday, because it's a good icebreaker. LOL.

• LeRoy

Geico Insurance is the advertiser. The idea is to get your attention and a camel clumping through an office does that. They lose many people to the absurdity of the ad, therefore not making their point. I had watched (forced) the commercial a few times myself before the point got through. I then wondered how much more Geico customers might save on insurance if all that ad money was used to reduce premiums.

I think it represents that person at the workplace that finds a little too much humor in something and carries it too far. The camel is happy and the rest are just at work. We laugh at it every time it comes on. Something about the voice in connection with the strange camel walk says he doesn't care what the others think because it's "his" day. The have to answer him as he just won't go away. His happiness is what customers of Geico are supposed to experience.

• Snid

It's just a silly Geico insurance commercial. They are famous for silly commercials. People tend to remember them, though. There's no real psychology to Geico commercials.

The camel annoys people so they ignore him. They aren't unhappy that it's Wednesday or Hump Day, they are unhappy that the camel has shown up again. That's my take on it.

People in the US seem to love it and the Geico gecko, too. Like I said, people remember Geico because of these silly commercials and that's the whole point.

Wednesday was called hump day when I was a kid. It's the hump (or middle portion) of the five-day work week. It's like a graph. For a two-humped camel, the humps would be Tuesday and Thursday. On Wednesday we used to say, "It's all down hill from here."

I remember another saying: "Anyone can get through Thursday!"

I think the commercials make sense, and I have actually laughed at some of them, but have not seen this one. I DO know that hump day is on Wednesday because you are over the hump after Monday and Tuesday and on to Thursday and Friday.

Source(s): Me.

I no longer expect many commercials to make sense or tie in with the products they're advertising, Flower. Advertising sure has changed, for sure.

That being said,I have to admit to loving an earlier Geico ad....the one with little Maxwell the pig, who gleefully sings 'weeeeeeeeeeee' as he hangs his head out the car window on the not-so-quiet drive home.

It's a take off of 'This Little Piggy Goes to Market'.....when the final little piggy goes 'weee, weee, weee all the home'.

Of course it doesn't relate to car insurance....just like with the camel in the office....but it definitely tickled MY funny bone! :-)

*Edit..... we had a son who never stopped talking in the car. Whether it was a local drive or long distance, we were frazzled by the time we got to our destination...just like that mother and son. And I agree, Maxwell is no longer a cute little piggy and 'his' ads have lost their touch. :-(

• Jodi D

I think it's brilliant! Geico's ad agency has to be the most creative in the business.

People who work for a living smile on Hump Day! The work week is half over!