Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

What will cons say now that California is leading the way for the country again?

It wasn't that long ago that pundits [and many cons on Y!A] were calling California a failed state and saying it was ungovernable. But in 2010, when other states were busy electing whatever Tea Partier claimed to hate government the most, we elected a guy who actually liked it, Jerry Brown.

Since then, everything Republicans say can't or won't work -- gun control, immigration reform, high-speed rail -- California is making work. And everything conservatives claim will unravel the fabric of our society -- universal healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, gay marriage, medical marijuana -- has only made California stronger. And all we had to do to accomplish that was vote out every single Republican. Without a Republican governor and without a legislature being ****-blocked by Republicans, a $27 billion deficit was turned into a surplus, continuing the proud American tradition of Republicans blowing a huge hole in the budget and then Democrats coming in and cleaning it up.

Thanks for putting it into words, Bill Maher!

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Pubs that see how high the quality of life is in the beautiful state of CA, but can't afford to live there, will continue to bash it because they hate to see others having more fun than they are.

• 7 years ago

You are correct in that California has gotten a little better. However if you are at rock bottom is there anywhere to go but up. Unemployment dropped from 12.4% to 10.7% where it is currently at. The national unemployment is at 7.3 currently (bureau of labor statistics). So on jobs California failed. On the issue of the hotly debated gun control California has done well but the places with the strictest gun laws i.e. D.C. , Chicago, Detroit have some of the highest murder rates by gun. I would have to give credit to California's police departments in controlling gang violence. Immigration reform is needed no matter what party you stand with if you don't control who comes into this country you leave yourself open to an unnecessary burden on society and a pathway for those who want to harm society. The high-speed rail in California is going broke and should be run by a private company. One who's concern is making money not going broke and holding the taxpayers responsible. Universal healthcare is so great that i hear people are going out and that's right cancelling their insurance cause its too expensive. Higher taxes on the rich just means they have to find new ways to hide there money and find better tax write offs. Don't worry the rich are rich for a reason, they know how to hide their money. Gay marriage is something the government should stay out of. Actually they should stay out of all marriages. Why is it that if I am religious i am not allowed to hold a belief that being gay is wrong. I don't force my beliefs on you don't force yours on mine. Also last time I checked California voted against gay marriage and it was overturned in court. So much for the will of the people. All in all don't you think it would be better to not become a slave to either party as you obviously cant think for yourself since you have just spit out every single democratic talking point. Hello puppet. That's why I support the libertarian party. Less government is always better for the people.

• Kini
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The only mistake is high speed rail that no one wants, no one will use, will be a boondoggle. I am hoping this will be scrapped somehow. The part that they are building is in central Calif. in the agricultural rural areas.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Meh.. I think the "success" of the tax hikes will diminish in a year over year basis as many people who got raped by it will find greener pastures, or better tax avoidance schemes.

And, it is obvious that there will be continued increases in the state budget, and tax revenues will not - can not - keep pace. Your deficits will return. Just wait.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

ROFL

Gun control worked.. yet crime and murder rates increased.

Immigration reform worked.. yet the number of criminal immigrants continued to increase.

High speed rail worked.. yet the state has absolutely nothing to show for the billions spent on it.

Which follows a proud American tradition of liberal "fixes" only making things worse.

• Dallas
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Total delusions. For starters the high speed rail was approved by voters for $10 billion. Last I heard it was $50 billion and will require Federal money [money from other states] to help them from a totally failed estimate. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say of the people leaving the state every day, most are moving to Texas.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

California is 200 billion dollars in debt , uses 1/3 of the entire nations welfare resources , businesses are fleeing the state and Jerry Brown wants to give illegals drivers licenses and have the taxpayer pay for their insurance .

Leading the way to WHAT ? I might ask .

• Lenny
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

By balancing its budget? Great idea conservatives had demanded for years.

Now, which $1.5 trillion total cost federal programs Obama is willing to cancel next year?

Let's start with cancelling Obamacare - it is at least $0.9 trillion of savings. And nobody likes it anyway.

Too bad that those $0.9 would be additional expenses and Obama still needs to cut $1.5 trillion from old programs.

• 7 years ago

What you fail to realize is that Jerry Brown has always been a different kind of Democrat. One that is tight with a buck.

California has resolved it's budgetary issues through some tax hikes and a lot of spending cuts.

• Pepper
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Oh Romaire, this is almost as crazy as the post you wrote about how gun control is working in Chicago!

California is a mess. It would be nice if you would have a link to all of these crazy claims you make

Here is an actual link for you with facts about California. WHat do you libbies have to say about that?

http://www.businessinsider.com/californias-debt-6-...

• I say that with a 8.9% unemployment rate (47th worst) California has a questionable way of leading the country.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.