Paramedic Certification. HELP PLEASE!?

My name is Brad and I am originally from Ontario, Canada but I currently live in the U.S.A.. I will soon be attending post secondary schooling enrolled in a paramedic program, following I will become a state licensed paramedic. I am wondering how international certification works because I will most likely move back to Ontario after my program is finished and will want to work as a paramedic in Ontario. I phoned Toronto EMS and they explained to me that the education/certification is different and would not be valid right away. So if I become a paramedic in the USA and move back to Ontario how do I become certified in Toronto, so i am able to work as a paramedic?

Is there a written test I must complete, how does the process work?

Please i have called many people and services in Ontario and no one seems to know. PLEASE someone help. Im sure i wouldn't be the only paramedic working in Ontario with an American education.

THANK YOU

Best Answer

The training up here is indeed very different than in the US. If your goal is to work in Ontario, do your training in Ontario. That is the easiest way. I know of a few American EMT-P who were able to transfer their training into a Canadian ACP license, but it took a long time (1-2 years) and multiple hoops to jump through.

Also be aware that the job market is very competitive in Ontario, so there isn't a huge push to hire people who aren't coming out of Ontario paramedic programs.

Source(s): Canadian Paramedic