What kind of heater is best?

Out furnace broke, we dunno when the landlord will fix it. We are going to get a heater for time being. What heater is better and why? A small fan heater or a big non-fan heater. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

I have a great fan-powered heater made by a company called Vornado. This type of heater is energy efficient in the sense that it is scientifically designed to circulate the air in a particular pattern which heats the whole room the same temperature from floor to ceiling. Typical run-of-the-mill small room heaters (both with and without fans) are not designed to do this, and all your heat eventually floats up to the ceiling, leaving the lower part of the room (where people usually are) still cold, and since the heater sits on the floor (where it's cold) it continues to run and run and run and run until it has to shut down to cool itself off. Radiant heaters (the kind without fans) are especially prone to this. They feel nice and cozy like a camp fire if you're sitting right up close to them. But if you get more than a few feet away you're cold again, as is the rest of the room (except for your ceiling). I LOVE my vornado heater. It's paid for itself many times over in energy savings. I live in a medium sized apartment and it works so well that I almost never have to turn on my noisy old furnace in the closet. After having many unsatisfactory experience with ordinary common "space heaters" found in hardware and department stores, I highly recommend Vornado heaters to anyone who will listen. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Fan Heater

I have a Sunbeam elemental non-fan heater. Had it since 2010. It's awesome. Never had any problems with it whatsoever.

Get an infared heater. They are very efficient and are cool to the touch. That's what I would get if in your situation.

just be careful, some portable heaters are really prone to cause fires.