Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 7 years ago

Was she basically saying that I'm not good looking?

I'm a 21 year old male from Ireland. On Sunday night myself and some of my classmates were in the college bar. We were talking to this girl from another country for a few minutes. This girl (let's call her Jane) started asking her a couple of questions. Jane then asks ''Do you think Irish people are beautiful?''. The girl said ''Yeah, I suppose''. Then Jane goes ''Oh sure everyone's beautiful in their own way''. She then said ''Ok, let's put it in this context. Do you think Michael (my name), Jack and me are beautiful''? At this stage the foreign girl nearly felt a bit awkward with the question and goes ''Yess, you're all beautiful''. Then Jane goes ''See, everyone's beautiful in their own way''.

Now let me get this straight, neither me or Jack are exactly beautiful. And to be bluntly honest, Jane isn't a stereotypical beautiful girl. It just seems to me that she was using me along with Peter and her as examples of people that aren't good looking but yet are ''still beautiful inside'' (inverted comma's intended for sarcasm). I don't mind either way, I'm just trying to figure out if that is what she meant.

Favorite Answer

She probably doesn't think you're overly physically attractive, whether or not that has anything to do with being Irish, I can't say. But, more than that, she was probably just taken aback by Jane's question. I mean, the foreign girl probably felt pretty awkward and just gave a vague answer because she didn't know what to say. I wouldn't read too much into it.

• John

The girl who was asked the question was simply put on the spot and didn't know what to say. And the question is quite unfair. Don't draw any conclusions from this encounter; certainly don't draw any conclusions about yourself.