Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Is it really a clever idea to not sign up for Obamacare and pay the fine?

It may seem like a clever idea to save yourself cash by not purchasing health insurance, but with Obamacare kicking in, you’ll have penalties to pay, which could cost you big bucks in the long run.

Not only are you playing financial Russian roulette – you could be forking out tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars if you’re injured in an accident or become seriously ill – you’ll also have to pay a penalty to the federal government for flouting the law, costing you hundreds or thousands of dollars more.

A wiser decision if you’re uninsured is to start shopping on your state health exchange, which opened Tuesday — with glitches – as a key part of health care reform.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/not-planning-buy-hea...

Favorite Answer

These people should just get a Bronze-Level plan through the exchange. The cost for such plans is about $175 / month for an adult making $40k per year.

1776 there was no health insurance.

I have bills to pay, I don't have time for fat lazy uneducated, people who think forking out $200-$1500+ a month for insurance will protect them from injury or diease.

Here's a thought

Take the money you'd pay for health insurance and use it to educate yourself of healthy eating and exercise. Then create a diet and exercise routine based of the education/Resersch and follow through on it.

This is my plan. I hate hospitals and I see welfare daily so I'm aware of the effects of a low IQ and health

No; Its a common sense idea since the average cost for a sub-par mid level insurance plan under the 0bama Care act is 300 dollars per month / with 5K deductible for people who are making under 50K per year, when those people in government making 150K++ per year want exemptions or subsidies to pay for it.

• ?

Pay the 95 fine. Insurance companies can not deny you because of a problem. Can not charge you more. If you get sick. Get coverage. Then cancel.

Right now kids under 30 are strapped with the insurance costs of the elderly. It is an unfair system. Now it is made fair by Obama. Soon there will be rationed healthcare. Democrats will control who gets the life saving operations. Republicans will have to pay for it.

• ?

18 years old. Bad gallbladder. No insurance. $30,000.00 medical debt out of the blue. Bankruptcy. I guess I wasn't indestructible. But I learned my lesson; wish I knew then what I know now.

• ?

Actually as long as you don't get caught...like wind up in the hospital or emergency room...then they have now way to know if you have or have not signed up for it.

It is kind of like not have car insurance...you don't get a fine for that unless you get pulled over for something else first.

There is no affordable way to keep track of people that don't sign up after all.

• ?

Taken right out of the Yahoo propaganda site for the Obama administration . Good job. I had good insurance until they started this A.C.A/ tax law. It covers less than my old policy and costs nearly twice as much. Thanks a lot to the people that have thrown me into the choices I have to make.

What good does it do a poor person to buy a policy if they cant meet the out of pocket expenses? You people think just buying a policy covers you. It doesn't work that way at all

Yeah take advantage of the American tax payers, and make them pay for it. Way to raise your kids, liberal.

• ?

I do not think it is right to make people pay a fine if they do not sign up for Obamacare.