Manny asked in SportsBaseball · 6 years ago

do you think the new wild card format will change again??

in past years how many wild card championship teams did we see? a lot huh. so maybe this new format is unfair to the wild card teams because they have to play an extra game. idk, i love it but i think if we don't see any success from the wild card teams then people are gonna notice.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You have already had wild card teams winning World Champoionships, and several others have been as far as the World Series.

The purpose of the wild card game is to show just how important it is to win your division.

This all happened after Brian Cashman's stupid comment a number of years ago that the Yankees would be better off with the wildcard because they would then get an opponent that had an inferior pitching staff to the one they would have faced had they won the division. The media & Selig hopped on that remark and hence, the wildcard "play-in" game.

What I'd like to see, if there must be all these wild card teams, is to shorten the regular season back to 154 games and make the wild card series the best 2 out of 3.

The reason this was put in was specifically BECAUSE there were too much success from the wildcard teams.

Now winning the division matters. No one-game playoff, extra days to set rotation. That's the idea. Why would they change it back?

Source(s): paying attention.
  • Kevin

They might make the WildCard Playoff Series a best out of 3 games.

It's a cheesy money maker period. But, it means more baseball and I'll take all I can get.

I don't see any changes in the foreseeable future.