JW and others, Can you explain Rev. 21. No more Sea?

21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

No more sea at all? I've been on it many times and enjoy watching the life in it.

Also

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up

Both the earth and her works will burned up. Many all on it.

Doesn't this suggest there has to be a rapture for any to be saved? Or not, please explain not looking for a fight on beliefs

Just trying to put it all together, so if you can make it clear I would appreciate it.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1 John 4:1 says..." Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression,*+ but test the inspired expressions* to see whether they originate with God,..."

How do you 'test'? Simply use the Bible itself to see if your idea matches with the rest of the Bible.

Rev 21:1 mentions a 'sea' that is no more. The waters of the ocean? That is not reasonable. The ocean is needed for life to exist. Try these Rev 17:15, "And he says to me: “The waters that you saw, where the harlot is sitting, mean peoples and crowds* and nations and tongues." The context shows the prostitute here derives her greatest support from the restless sea of humanity.

Isiah 57:20 says this about the sea, "But the wicked are like the sea that is being tossed, when it is unable to calm down, the waters of which keep tossing up seaweed and mire." Note seaweed comes from the ocean.

The next part of the question has to do with 2 Peter 3:3-17. The Bible here calls attention to those who ridicule. Then goes on to look at the future and the end of this system of things. First it compares our day with the end of the system back in Noah's day. The only difference being the manner of the destruction. But note. The destruction is of UNGODLY MEN. (verse 7)

Fire is often used in the Bible to denote complete destruction of something. Now if what is to be destroyed is ungodly men, what about the rest of the living things on earth?

"And Noah began to build an altar+ to Jehovah... and to offer burnt offerings upon the altar.+ 21...... Jehovah said in his heart:+ “Never again shall I call down evil upon the ground+ on man’s account, because the inclination+ of the heart of man is bad from his youth up;+ and never again shall I deal every living thing a blow just as I have done.+ 22 For all the days the earth continues,* seed sowing and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night, will never cease.”+ Genesis 8:20-22

God has said the rest of life on earth will continue. No more destruction. Therefore, the future destruction must be selective. God does not lie..

Rapture? No such thing. It was invented to appease those who were fearful of the future and wanted to avoid the Great Tribulation spoken of by Jesus in Mathew 24:21. Those who subscribe to the Rapture teaching find nothing in the Bible to substantiate it. They are looking for a loop hole to escape the coming judgement.

The earth? The planet will not be destroyed. Only ungodly men. Elements? The political system Satan has devised to rule mankind. New heavens? New rule. The Kingdom of God. New earth? New system when this one is done away with. A world of righteousness. A government without corruption. No crime, no pollution, no disease, no hunger, no borders. Plenty of challenging and satisfying work and an unlimited future. How does that sound?

Bottom line. Always compare one place in the Bible with the rest of the Bible to make sure of a good and correct understanding. A proverb says, "Where there is a multitude of counsellors, there is salvation. And Acts 8:30, 31 tells us you need a guide. If you would like, e-mail me.

Source(s): Holy Bible nwt
  • Diane
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

As you know much of Revelation is in symbolic language. There will not be a new planet, the world will be made anew. "the ones ruining the earth will be put to ruin" - the sea is wicked mankind.

I know that the earth is already big enough for everyone who ever lived to be resurrected but I do sometimes wonder if some of the seas will be dried up to provide more living/farming area, as they do cover 2 thirds of the surface.............

• 7 years ago

It's symbolic.

The "earth" = ungodly human society.

heavens = manmade governments

sea = turbulant (unstable) wicked mankind.

Elements (2 Peter 3:10 ) = spirit or dominating attitude of the world

Fire = gods anger/complete destruction

=======================================================

The bible says that the earth will continue forever, indeed it makes it clear that God will simply destroy or kill off the wicked rather than destroy his still beatiful planet. I would advise you to learn the basics first and then books like Revelation. It's good that you are trying to learn but you can't run before you can walk. I suggest the publication below.

What does the bible REALLY teach.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/bible-teac...

• 7 years ago

Matter can not be destroyed. The elements melting is not the same as saying that the earth will be blown to smithereens.

The "sea", it has been theorized, will hover in the atmosphere as the earth is renewed, comparable perhaps to Neptune. All things will be made new.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

no more sea means the great sea of unbelievers! the one who will face the great throne of judgement.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.