Sean
Sean asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 6 years ago

Do we really need a a bureau of Alcohol, Fireamrs, and Tobacco?

What use do they serve?

I'm not conservative, I am actually very liberal.

• Feivel
    Best Answer

Yes. Personally I want to know if explosives are being sold to people and things of that nature. If some guy is hauling a shipment of TNT or 10,000 semi-auto's, I think we need to be aware of that and in that case, I hope the ATF is doing their jobs.

Of course we have seen the heavy handed work of the ATF at Waco and Ruby Ridge but by and large, those seem to be anomalies.

However, the fact that they have to do checks on Baskin Robbins (which I have never eaten at) because they have alcohol in their daiquiri and rum raisin ice creams seems beyond the scope of common sense.

Isn't it the ATF who does background checks for firearm applications? I really would hope they are taking that jobs seriously.

Source(s): Independent

Yes,

There are only two arguments to make here. One is that all such laws aren't useful, which is basically the type of stupid argument 17 year olds and Libertarians make without studying the issue. Check out the number of people who go blind every year in undeveloped world from drinking wood alcohol. Check out the amount of money cigarette taxes bring in every year and then ask yourself "Do I want to pick up this tab" and take look at what they did to the smoking rate among children.

The other is just an argument of whether it's better to have one centralized bureaucracy enforcing all laws or is it better to accept that some specialization is best in law enforcement. That there is a different knowledge necessary in catching moonshiners, than there is in catching counterfeiters.

Yes. Next conservitard question.

Do we really need the office of faith based initiatives?

Let's get drunk and shoot it out for a pack of smokes, what do you say?