Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How to use Nikon D5000 without flash?

With the flash, the picture doesn't turn out how I want it to. Without the flash, the picture is way too dark. I like how the picture looks on the screen before I take it, but I'm not sure how to get it to actually turn out the same as it shows on there. :( Help?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • EDWIN
    Lv 7
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The pop-up flash is a harsh, direct light and anything but flattering. Try using a piece of white tissue or thin white cloth over the flash head to soften the light. There are numerous diffusers available but try the tissue or cloth first. You can also try backing away from your subject as well. The best solution is an off-camera flash but that's expensive.

However, if you're in a low-light situation and really don't want to use flash and the only lens you have is the slow 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 zoom that came with the camera then your only option, other than investing in a 50mm f1.4 prime lens, is to use a very high ISO.

Suppose you're wanting to take pictures of a subject lit by the candles on a birthday cake. Using ISO 400 and f3.5 you meter and your meter says a 1/5 second shutter speed is required. Even with the VR on the lens 1/5 second is not easily hand-held and the slightest subject movement will be a blur. So you try ISO 800, 1600, 3200 but the shutter speed is still too slow. At ISO 6400 your shutter speed goes to 1/80 second. Much better than 1/5 second but still problematic for any subject movement. If, however, you don't like the framing at 18mm and decide to zoom in to 55mm your aperture drops to f5.6 and your shutter speed drops to 1/30 second. While within the realm of hand-holding, blur caused by subject movement becomes even more of a problem. To achieve a 1/60 second shutter speed at f5.6 would require ISO 12800 which your D5000 doesn't have.

Now suppose that you have the Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.4 available. At f1.4 and ISO 6400 your shutter speed becomes 1/500 second. Now you've no need to worry about hand-holding or subject movement. You could even stop down to f2.8 and still have a 1/125 second shutter speed. Or, since ISO 6400 is going to cause excessive digital noise, use ISO 1600 and still have a 1/125 second shutter speed at f1.4.

So try diffusing the pop-up flash or invest in the Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight or invest in the Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.4 prime lens.

• ?
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Are you using auto without the flash and find that too dark? So I now use manual - basically there are three things you can adjust and balance re light - the aperture(how big the hole), the shutter speed (how fast the hole opens and shuts) and iso(800 max for really dark conditions as any higher gives a bad picture). Each one of these 3 things has its own particular emphasis - large aperture makes things things in the foreground more distinct small and the background is more distinct, a slow shutter speed is used at night usually and you need a tripod.

• 8 years ago

You need to learn your camera first. Read the manual. You might have to change the ISO, F-stop or shutter speed. Always shoot in manual AFTER you know your camera.

Do research about what you want to achieve but first learn more about your camera so you can actually use manual and can control the settings of your camera to get what you want.

Source(s): I'm a photographer, graphic designer and web designer
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.