Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 7 years ago

Is it possible to get a trained emotional support dog?

Im going through some tough times physically and would love a dog

I cant really walk the dog but my parents have agreed to help out with that

Is this a possibility?

Favorite Answer

If you can't physically care for a dog, and exercise it - and want it for emotional reasons .... then what you need is to have your parents adopt a nice quiet dog to bring into your household.

You are not requiring a trained service dog to do tasks for you (you live with your parents and they can do tasks for you) - you just need a friend to snuggle and hug from time to time. Call a few local rescue groups and tell them what you need in a companion dog, and they will help match you with a dog with the correct disposition and basic training you need.

Greyhounds are very sweet and emotionally "in tune" breed of dog - you may want to consider adopting a retired racer to use as your ESD. Many are now being used as Service Dogs for disabled Vets, and I use my adopted ex-racers as Therapy Dogs. If you have a fenced yard, and a warm coat for it in the winter - you would be good to go.

an emotional support dog is JUST A PET

sure it can be trained to do anything.. same as a PET can be trained.

It is NOT a service dog tho, and does NOT have the same public access that a service dog has- it only has the same public access that any PET has.

Yes it is here is a link that explains it all,

http://servicedogcentral.org/content/ESA

It definitely is possible!