Turning flash mode on in manual settings?

For all you experienced photographers out there, I have a question for you. Is there any way I can enabled my built in flash to turn on when I take a picture in Manual mode? When I set the setting, but built in flash does not pop up. I have an external flash as well, would it work on that rather the the built in flash?

Favorite Answer

Push the flash button on the side.

I believe all D-SLR cameras can shoot Manual Mode and have the built-in flash fire as well. You just need to look for the flash button and press that when in Manual Mode. This will signal the built in flash to open up and fire when you take a photo. An external flash will do so too, just connect it to the hotshoe and switch the unit ON.

A photo below is an example of the flash button. However, this is Nikon model, but the symbol of the flash button is similar with each camera.

Press this button to pop-open your built-in flash when shooting in Manual Mode.

• Marvin

The answer with the photo is correct. All of my Nikon DSLR's work this way. I would add however that some flashes need to be manually lifted. I have a Canon bridge style camera that by design, the flash is manually lifted to activate.

• BriaR

What camera?

There is usually a button to press to pop up the flash - it will have a lightning symbol on it.