Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Do Buddhists believe in demons or ghosts?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The sutras describe over thirty-one distinct "planes" or "realms" of existence into which beings can be reborn during their long wandering through samsara. Demons are called either Asura, beings engaged in relentless conflict with each other, or Mara, beings wielding power over the creation of others. Ghosts are called Preta, unhappy spirits that wander hopelessly about searching in vain for sensual fulfillment.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Some do, the Thais are VERY ghost conscious, after a person is dead, they tie these ghost repellent strings around their homes, and they have a holiday where they tell ghosts to quit wasting time being ghosts and hurry up and be reborn. Some do not, I do not believe in ghosts, and I think demons are metaphors for psychological things. Not that I would stay a night in a "real" haunted house.

• 7 years ago

Some do some don't.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

-Buddha

• 7 years ago

Yes. I live in Thailand, where 98% of the population are Buddhists. They are extremely superstitious and afraid of many things (similar to most Asian cultures).

There is an entire theme park devoted to the Buddhist version of hell

http://io9.com/5915890/spend-a-lovely-day-with-the...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

two third of Americans believe them although they are not Buddhists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV52mtgvuhQ

Youtube thumbnail

well, you rather think about if people should or shouldn't accept their existence. don't use the word belief. once you have seen one, it's no longer about belief.

• Coke
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

Technically, they can, but I wanna say in general they don't.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.