Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 years ago

Private pilot looking for a new challenge?

Hello,

I am a private pilot with about 300HRS in small crates (c-172 anc c-150) haha. I am trying to figure out how to build on my existing experience and skills. A while back a posted a question about getting my multi-engine rating but some people sort of discouraged me from that option due to the cost and difficulty involved in flying light twins. I then though about an IR but the country-bumpkin airport that I fly in and out of does not have any airplanes for rent/trainning that are IFR equipped. I then though about a nigght rating but again the hillbilly airport does not have runway lights for night operation. I am getting bored with just going on sightseeing flights and daytime VFR cross-country trips. Any ideas?

Also, I am planning on going back to flight school next year to become commercial, multi-engine and IFR pilot wit the planes on earning a career in aviation. I am unable to go to flight school this year due to financial reasons. Can anyone recommend any "GOOD" flights schools in Canada, yes I am Canadian eh, haha. I am not talking about a flight school that simply proviodes training, they all do that. I am looking for a flight school that is top notch and could possibly give me an edge in the job market.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

No flight school will give you an "edge" -

They all train you to same licences and qualifications -

The only better one would be the RCAF -

Just select a flight school not too far from home in your province -

Compare prices, see if the school has desired aircraft types/equipment -

Select instructor with experience (not one who became instructor last week) -

Now you are home, get the manuals and study on your own -

You have an idea what to study...

Edit -

What you could do now is to get a taildragger qualification -

Such as flying a Beaver or a Chipmunk -

Your first job (?) might require taildragger experience -

Also consider seaplane qualification (if many lakes/rivers around) -

Source(s): Retired airline pilot
  • 6 years ago

(1) There really aren't any flight schools that can give you a significant "edge" in the job market. Unlike other professions where the school you attend can have a significant impact on career opportunities, this isn't true in aviation other than military flight training.

(2) For a new commercial pilot looking for a first job, what employers will primarily look at is (a) the licenses and ratings you hold, (b) your total flight time, (c) the aircraft you have experience in and how much time you have in each. Given two candidates, the job is more likely to go to the pilot who has experience in the region where the company is based with knowledge of the local geography and weather. References are important and local references from someone they may know or can easily check up on is extremely helpful. Many first jobs are obtained at the FBO / flight school where you train, or close by. Who you know (and who knows you) is at least as important as your qualifications. FACT.

(3) In other words, decide where it is you'd prefer to live and work as a pilot, or where the most non-airline flying jobs are available and focus on getting training and experience in that area. That's the biggest edge you can give yourself when breaking into the flying biz.

(4) So you need a challenge? Have you more or less spent 300 hours just joyriding and boring holes in the sky and sight-seeing on sunny days or do you have some real experience that will help you as a commercial pilot? . Are you proficient with the commercial pilot maneuvers you will be tested on? Have you met the commercial pilot cross-country requirements yet? How proficient are you at flying from the right seat? How sharp are your pilotage and dead-reckoning skills (i.e flying without electronic navigational aids)?. How good are you at unusual attitudes and "upset recovery"? Are you comfortable going in and out of big-city airports in the high-traffic airspace? How about landing at at short, unpaved airstrips? Do you have any mountain flying experience? How about your ability to navigate safely in MVFR conditions (3-5 mile vis w/ low ceilings)? Are you comfortable flying in rain or snow when VFR conditions prevail? How proficient are you at planning a long cross country flight in 30 minutes or less? How good are you at cross-wind landings in high winds? How much flying in sub-zero weather have you done? How efficiently can you get from A to B and back again in terms of minimizing your flight time, ground time and fuel used?

(5) Why don't you either fly or drive to an airport where you can get your night flying in? So what if you have to spend the night to do it? You could knock out the requirements in a couple of weekends.

(6) It doesn't matter if your local field doesn't have any airplanes that are IFR equipped. You can still do a significant portion of instrument training in a VFR airplane. If it has a VOR and / or GPS receiver you can practice non-precision approaches in VFR conditions. You should be getting proficient at basic attitude instrument flying under the hood, including partial-panel practice which doesn't require any navigation equipment whatsoever. While it would be best to do this with a CFII so you can log the required instruction, you can still become proficient at it with a regular CFI or even just a safety pilot on board. If you've got the basics down pat, the rest will come quickly and easily. You should be able to do constant airspeed climbs and descents, constant rate climbs and descents, both straight and in turns. You should also be able to do slow flight, stalls and steep turns while under the hood. You can practice course intercepts and holding procedures if you have a VOR or ADF. Out of the required 40 hours, about all you can't accomplish is the required IFR cross-country flight and certain approaches. The rest can be done in the aircraft at hand.

(7) To sum up, there is no end to the things that can challenge you. All that's needed is an ability to think outside the box and an instructor / mentor that can get you on track in both your thinking and flying. Done intelligently, you can minimize the cost of training and meet most of the requirements for the commercial, instrument and instructor ratings right at your local airport without having to go away to a flight school for more than a few weeks, or a couple months at most.

• 6 years ago

all flight schools meet the same standards. none are better or worse than others.

what part of canada did you have in mind? how about the greater vancouver area? challenging terrain and ridiculously complicated air space, with lots of people who can do cpl, multi-ifr, seaplanes, and more. four ga airports, with half a dozen more within an hour's flying time.

it's a fact of life that nobody flies light twins nowadays except for getting their class 1 instrument rating. so be it. a shame: they're fun to fly, and are very capable airplanes. but they are *not* commuter or transport category airplanes, and must be flown accordingly.

you need class 1 ifr for airline employment, btw, since it's a requirement for atpl.

later: good point that you are expected to improve your flying skills, not just burn avgas, when building time for cpl. i've done exactly that: fly to places i've never been to. see how accurately i can land. practice radio navigation. practice upper air work. lots more...my last cross-country flight ticked most of the boxes, since i used radio navigation, flew to an airport i had never been to before, flew in mvfr conditions, and, just for good measure, flew to the u.s.a. my mountain checkride was a hoot.

still later: i'm dismayed that you would make life/career/training decisions based on this ridiculous forum. twins are fun. at least go for a flight in one before deciding.

• FanMan
    Lv 5
    6 years ago

There are all kinds of things you can do to add interest to your flying. Get some aerobatic instruction (even if you don't want to do acro it's valuable "unusual attitude" training). Get your glider rating if there's a glider club near you. Endless challenges there. Get your seaplane rating. Get your taildragger checkout, most taildraggers are a lot more fun to fly than a C-172. Some outfits do bush pilot training, too. Check out ultralights, either airplane type fixed wing, or powered parachutes or paragliders. Hang out with your local EAA chapter and see how much fun their airplanes are.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sounds you're kind of stuck in your hillbilly bumpkin airport..

get some cross country flights visit another airfields.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.