Can I hold 3 citizenships.?

I was born in England to an English Mom and an Irish Dad. I Live in Canada and a citizen of this country. Am I considered a citizen of all 3 countries?

• Maggie
    Best Answer

Yes. All you need to do to exercise all three is apply for passports. You don't have to do anything else to 'claim' citizenship.

Note though that your children will have a different experience.

British citizenship. Any children you have outside the UK will be citizens by descent and only able to pass on citizenship to children born in the UK as British citizenship only passes down one generation outside the UK.

Irish citizenship. Your children will only be entitled to Irish citizenship if you register them on the Foreign Birth Register as Irish citizenship only passes down automatically one generation outside the RoI. It can pass down two generations with registration on the FBR. Once registered your child can pass down citizenship automatically to a child of theirs born outside the RoI.

I am a tri-national. I was born American, applied for Irish citizenship through my Irish Gran, and just a few years ago found out I also have South-African citizenship due to an extended stay I had out there back in the 60s.

I know it's possible because I have 3 citizenships (US, Canadian, Irish), but it depends on the laws of the countries involved.

It's up to each country to decide if they will grant you citizenship if you hold citizenship in another country.

you can be a citizen of all three

if you have taken out citizenship ..it not automatic

Yes, you are.

Welcome to the club.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live in the charming old mission town San Buenaventura and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.