Starshot asked in SportsBaseball · 7 years ago

Were the Red Sox robbed tonight?

what a bizarre call at third base

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First Jim Joyce screws Galarraga with the im-perfect game, and now reams the Red Sox. He simply is incapable of making an accurate call at the end of a game, isn't he?

• 7 years ago

This call was exactly right.

The runner was hindered. Period. That's all it takes. In this case, it happened because the feet came up. But if the fielder had left his feet down and the runner had been hindered, it still would have been obstruction. 2.00 OBSTRUCTION. And if the runner had not been hindered (i.e., he cleanly stepped over the legs) then obstruction would not be called.

And since the runner wasn't being played on at the time of the obstruction, the ball remains live, the umpire decides how much protection the runner is going to get. (The award of the next base is NOT automatic in this case.) When the play is made at the plate, the umpires rule that the runner would have been safe had the obstruction not occurred. Runner is then awarded the plate, run scores, game over. Rule 7.06(b).

• 7 years ago

It was the absolute wrong call....according to the OFFICIAL MLB rule book put out on Feb. 27, 2013, obstruction occurs when a runner's progress is hindered, except: this is the good part for u people...UNLESS

A fielder is "in the act of fielding" and it is NOT obstruction, if, his block of the base, is a fluid, continuous result of his effort to glove the ball.

So, Middlebrooks did nothing wrong...him trying to get up was a CONTINUOUS motion. Now, basically the umpire is saying he shouldn't have tried to get up and that made it obstruction....WRONG. if he layed there and made no effort to get up THAT would be obstruction. Now, look up INTERFERENCE. By Craig putting his hands on Middlebrook's back, that was interference. But hey, that runner was "safe" on Gallaragha too right?

Source(s): MLB rule book Rule 7.06(a)
  • 7 years ago

Bizarre? How? Umps quickly made the correct call. Out of the ordinary yes. Bizarre? No.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

They weren't robbed. Whether it was intentional or not, Middlebrooks raised his legs when he fell, tripping Craig in the process. Had he not done that, Craig would have scored. Had Saltalamacchia been smart and held onto the ball and not throw it to left field, this whole fiasco wouldn't have happened.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Right call. Bad, ill-advised throw. That's why I always told my young players to not let the game be so close that it could be decided by an umpire's call.

• 7 years ago

Yes & I am pulling for the Cardinals so i'm very happy that the cheating spitball red sox lost!

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

True. Blame Salty for the bad throw. He threw it into left field, run scores, goodnight.

• 7 years ago

It was the right call. So no.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, clearly the right call, he scores easily if not for the interference.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.