By learning OpenOffice applications, basically will I have learned its equivalent Microsoft program?

My goal is to learn Microsoft applications but I don't have it and want to save money by not having to purchase it. I do however have openoffice and have been using it for some time. The question is: are the Openoffice applications similar enough to the Microsoft applications for it to make it worth my while to learn the openoffice equivalents? I would like to learn microsoft in order to boast it on my resume. If the case be that openoffice is not similar enough, then I will not waste time and will seek a way to invest in the Microsoft Office program. Also, what is the most economical way of obtaining microsoft? Do you need to get it in order to learn it or is it better to invest in outside training? I was told that if you're smart, you can learn on your own/ with free online tutorials. What would you do if you were me?

Favorite Answer

OpenOffice and LibreOffice are based on the Microsoft Office '95 feature set. A lot has changed since then. The core commands are still the same, but the user interface has changed immensely. Cloud computing is now integral to Microsoft Office, but OpenOffice and LibreOffice have no cloud components at all.

You can use the Microsoft Office cloud applications for free at docs.com. Start with those. Then you can install the full version of Microsoft Office. The best price is the student price at http://www.microsoft.com/student/

If you're not a student, watch for specials at your favorite stores like Amazon, Frys, Best Buy etc. Watch for sleazy opportunists. If the price seems to low, it's almost certain to be a scam.

Microsoft word, powerpoint, outlook, all those are easy to learn... Excel is where it gets tricky. As far as open office goes in comparison here is a pic between both layouts: http://imgur.com/kg3hN6L

Open Office is much more basic, whereas Word has many more tools, this goes the same for the rest of Microsofts office programs... so if you truly want to master Microsoft you're going to have to buy Microsoft......Or pirate.

If your resume is just for a general office job, then Open Office is good enough.

If you are applying for Tech Support for Microsoft Office, then it is not good enough