What is the maximum velocity?
1. suppose a spaceship is designed to withstand a micrometeorite impact delivering a TKE of million joules, suppose that the most massive micrometeorite has a mass of 3 g, what is the maximum relative velocity of the micrometeorite to the spaceship so that the ship can withstand the impact?
27. to maintain a speed of v on a horizontal road, a car has to produce enough power to overcome air resistance. the required power goes up with increasing speed according to the equation : P=Power in kW= k * V^3
where V is measured in miles/hour and k is a proportionality constant. Suppose it takes a power of 7.7 kW to overcome air resistance at 30.0 mph, find
(a) the value of K in it's appropriate units
(b) using a spreadsheet prepare a graph of power(kW) versus speed (mph) for speeds from 0 mph to 100 mph ((Just tell me what to graph and I'll do it))
- WoodsmanLv 77 years agoFavorite Answer
1. TKE = 1e6 J = ½mv² = ½ * 0.003kg * v²
v ≈ 26 km/s
27. kW units are J/s = N·m/s = (kg·m/s²)(m/s) = (kg/s)(m/s)² ← LHS units
The RHS is in k * (m/s)³. Cancelling (m/s)² leaves
kg/s = k * m/s
THEREFORE units for k are kg/m.
30 mph = 13.4112 m/s, so
7700 = k * (13.4112)³
k = 3.19 kg/m