Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 7 years ago

Do corporations have religious freedom rights?

http://news.yahoo.com/obamacare-court-challenge--d...

A major legal challenge to Obamacare making its way to the Supreme Court could allow for-profit corporations to opt out of a key piece of the law by asserting freedom of religion.

Hobby Lobby, a “biblically founded” crafts store chain based in Oklahoma, is one of 39 for-profit companies suing the federal government over the law’s contraceptive mandate. The company argues that the federal government cannot infringe upon its religious rights by forcing it to provide contraceptive coverage in its health plan.

The case asks whether Hobby Lobby can refuse to comply with Obamacare’s contraceptive mandate on the grounds that allowing its 13,000 employees access to birth control — specifically the morning-after pill and intrauterine devices, or IUDs — would violate the company’s freedom of religion.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • J-Dawn
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the corporations are founded on biblical principles, then yes. Hobby Lobby is one such company. They only play Christian music in their stores, they don't sell items that would go against the Bible, they're closed on Sunday. They even have a faith-based mission statement:

"At Hobby Lobby, we value our customers and employees and are committed to:

*Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.

*Offering our customers exceptional selection and value in the crafts and home decor market.

*Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals and nurture families.

*Providing a return on the owner's investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community.

We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future."

@owg, they ARE closed on Sundays.

• 7 years ago

No.

Corporations will use any lie to prevent them from doing the right thing for their employers.

If the women will go on strike, I bet they will get their contraceptives covered.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Anyone working for any organization should be able to choose weather they would be covered for this, not the company. If the Corporation is so religious it should be closed every Sunday.

• 7 years ago

@Michael- Delete your response as it is a blatant display of your ignorance of current political events. A conservative dominated Supreme Court gave corporations "personhood" status NOT the Democratic party or liberals.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Your question: Do PEOPLE still have rights when they act in groups?

Literally 100% of people YOU would consider voting for say YOU have NO rights of any kind when YOU act with other people.

• Justin
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

Aren't corporations people? That's what I keep hearing from liberals.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

of course.

i mean if i start a religious based business who is the government to tell i can't do that?

• Sam
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

They shouldn't have

• 7 years ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.