Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Does Mara serve a similar symbolic significance in Buddhism, that Ha Satan does in Judaism?

BQ: As Mara is a personification of temptation...

Is the One Ring sort of a similar symbolism?

@Banaus:

On the contrary --

What I so often do, is dismantle theistic-style constructions to their true symbolic meaning. At that level, it is atheistic.

• Favorite Answer

No. You're using the Christian version, not the Jewish one.

Source(s): 'True symbolic meaning'? Careful there, that's an absolutely enormous claim.

I guess so. While I usually dismiss the idea the idea Mara being "the Buddhist Satan", it can often be hard to. Mara appears as a figure of temptation who leads men to worldly pursuits, so does Satan. Satan as Ha-Satan is definitely tempter if you think about it, since he exists to tempt people in order to test their faith. Mara is also desire and ego, while Satan in the Christian sense is also desire and ego, but also rebellion and freedom.

I will speak from an absolute standpoint with the help of science.

Lets loot at the absolute composition of the universe here :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

From the pie chart we see that :

a) 2/3 of Universe (68.3%) is Dark energy (i.e. unknown Energy) it is like ocean of light but appears void to people being imperceptible.

b) 1/3 of Universe is Dark matter(26.8%) + Visible matter(4.9%)

The Dark matter in b) is also invisible (everywhere all around) but being more than five times of visible matter.

So around us we have invisible air also invisible dark matter and also invisible dark energy.

The world of sensuality (sensual pleasure & pain) is the visible world of materialism. But science says that it is the Dark matter (b) which is keeping the visible matter within with its gravity else it would be scattered & be destroyed. So Dark matter(26.8%) is like a controller to the visible matter(4.9%). So I consider Dark matter (26.8%) as the Mara which envelops the visible matter (4.9%) so that creatures get reborn here and they suffer after getting enticed by worldly pleasures. The mara (devil) in dark matter (26.8%) is preventing people from enlightenment else they would escape become free from its clutches and merge with the ocean of light (a) i.e. the Nirvana state.

I think Satan of other religions as same as Mara of Buddhism.

• Wukong

In some ways, yes. But not quite the same.

Yes to the temptation.

But some difference in ultimate motivation and purpose.

One has to consider the perception of evil.

Source(s): I just asked my friend and teacher, a Buddhist monk.
  • Paul

Similar, yes.

The idea of an "evil" force (or personage or god/goddess, etc.) that exists to counteract "good" forces (or personages or god/goddesses, etc.) is fairly common in many cultures. It's a superstitious, mythical way of trying to explain why human beings are sometimes nasty, assuming they have to be influenced by some force of "evil" to be that way. The thing is, humans don't need an "evil" force or being to get them to be nasty -- they are capable of doing so all on their own, or by having certain neurological or psychological disorders.

Still, the ignorant and gullible like to blame "evil" on "evil forces," rather than just accept the fact that we can be "evil" all on our own. It gives them an excuse for their own evil thoughts and deeds. As in, "The devil made me do it!"

• Banaus

if you look at it that way, then buddhism is just another theistic religion.