Tapping starter with a hammer every other time?

My starter seems to be on its last leg but I have to wonder why it would start sometimes and others i have to tap it with a hammer.

Could it just be some oxidation on some of the contacts?

Could I spray electro solve up through that screw hole or plug hole or whatever it is and maybe get lucky?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 years ago
    Best Answer

What is happening is the starter is sticking, because the windings and brushes are not providing enough power to start it turning. When you jolt the starter with the hammer, this makes it move just a bit and it will then turn.

You need to rebuild or replace the starter. The hammer trick only works for so long and then you are paying a tow truck.

Save the tow, have it fixed while you can still start it.

Source(s): 34 years in the auto business
  • 6 years ago

Yes tapping will often help when the starter is bad. You could rebuild the starter yourself, since you can replace the brushes, clean the solenoid contacts, grease the bendix, and fix anything else that tapping can effect. But a rebuilt starter is usually only $75 and is more reliable. And brush leads are often soldered in these days instead of screwed down. So rebuilding can be difficult. And it would seem to me that reliability would be worth the money.

• Kirk
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

The Brushes inside the starter are worn out. You need to replace the starter, unless you know a place that rebuilds starters & generators.

• 6 years ago

The brushes and armatures get bad spots in them. Tapping will move the armature slightly making it work.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 years ago

the solenoid is sticking part of the time if you have to use a hammer on it before it will start !

• 6 years ago

the bearings are worn out so get another starter.

• Ken
    Lv 4
    6 years ago

buy a starter or a bigger hammer!!

• 6 years ago

stop tapping it. your making it worse. buy a new starter.

• 6 years ago

replace it, or one morning it won't start at all..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.