My 2001 Dodge grand caravan sport is bogging down when we haul a 4*8 trailer uphill? what should I do?

The trailer is full of household items, only one dresser and a small book shelf, so there's not a lot of weight. I am concerned about downshifting into 2nd gear because the transmission is already compromised... it leaks and I don't want to put too much strain on it.

Should we just leave it in drive and go slower? Thanks

I also need to know what speed I should be down to before I shift? 35-45 and I'm guessing I will also feel when it needs to be upshifted back into drive right? Thanks for all the help! :)

Favorite Answer

You should use second gear. If the bogging down is transmission related. It is friction/ heat related as well. Using second gear will extend the life of the transmission. Repairing the leak may be inexpensive, you should have it serviced. A complete rebuild could cost as much as 3000.00.

It is trying to tell you that it cannot handle the load going up hill. So yes, go slower when going up hill. Also when towing a trailer, do not run the AC.

And make sure you use the correct fluid for this vehicle. Chrysler products take a special fluid. I think it is called "Plus 4" fluid. Some people say they have a little bottle of stuff that concerts Dexron fluid to Plus 4. BS. That stuff does not work. Only use transmission fluid specially made for Chrysler products. You can get it at Autozone stores.