Can a company hire you on the spot and retract the offer a week later?

I'm sure they can.

I would like to know if a company cuts the interview short to offer you the job, gives you the orientation package along with police check and says see you next week. Can they upon calling your references retract the offer?

Canadian Laws could be different I'm sure to the USA so I'm looking to hear more from YA Canucks or those who at least know the ethics and laws better than I!

Thanks...it hasn't happened but I'm just curious.

Ok fair enough, Now I'm wondering how that's possible if you just gave your Employers phone numbers but did not OK them to talk to them. And can your old Employers bad mouth you?

• Donald
    Favorite Answer

To answer the first part of your question: Yes, but it's a bit more complicated than the other answers suggest. If they offer you a job in writing--no, they can't just withdraw the offer. However, usually the offer is contingent upon a background, credit, or criminal check. In that case, they're not fully offering you the job. They're saying: "If everything checks out, we will hire you."

As for past employers: If you provide the phone number, you can assume that they'll contact your previous employer. Even if you don't provide the phone number, they'll probably try...and for good reason. Sometimes companies make exceptions when the applicant is still employed by a company and the applicant could be fired if the current employer found out about the employee's job search. However, the applicant should clearly inform the new company of that situation.

Yes, old employers can bad-mouth you. Sometimes it's justified. Sometimes it isn't. But it does happen, and it does sometimes result in a job applicant not getting the new job.

Hope that helps.

Can an employee accept a job and after 1 week quit? Of course they can, and the same option applies to employers.

Yes they can. You gave them references and phone #.. they assume they can call them & they can. If your reference tells them something negative they can withdraw the offer. If the background check comes in bad they can withdraw the offer, if previous employer gives negative info, they can again withdraw the offer.

Of course they can. An offer is just that...an offer. Not a guarantee.