SC~Back in the days, what was Frank Sinatra best song that made him so famous?

Seriously I have no idea!

BQ-Was the song "Send in the Clowns" supposed to be a sad song?

• RoHo
    Favorite Answer

Back in the day Sinatra was known as "The Voice". It was not one song that made him famous, but his voice.

Clowns- Yes, sad

Sinatra was famous as a singer for many decades. My late mother listened to Sinatra on the radio in the 1940s when he was a band singer. Sinatra was known for a lot of ballads. Singers sang more than one hit song in the old days to become famous.

BQ: yes. The song is from a musical - A Little Night Music - about the romances of several couples over time. The musical was loosely based on a Swedish movie by Ingmar Bergman - Smiles of a Summer Night. Very worthwhile to see the old Bergman movie and also the musical.

Sinatra had such a long and successful career, starting with his role as a singer with the big bands of Harry James and Tommy Dorsey, that it would be impossible to pick a best song. That would be a matter of opinion. He started his career in the very early 1940's. I remember a contest by a radio station to choose who was the best singer at that time, Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra. That was in the late 40's, I don't remember who won. What I liked most about him was his clear enunciation of every word that he sang. You knew what his songs were about. I doubt there's a "singer" today that does that.

Great question. I love Sinatra but he was a little before my time. All I know is when they put him in the cartoons with Bugs and Daffy, they would show him as skinny as a toothpick with the microphone (a stand-up model) swaying with him. Yes, Send in the Clowns is a sad and ironic song. I think it's beautiful.

Where are the clowns,

There ought to be clowns,

Don't bother, they're here.

• Dick

Sinatra was more famous as an actor,and "personality", than as a singer. He had some popular recordings, that were probably the result of good mixing, and a good sound engineer. In person, he wasn't much of singer. His voice was thin, reedy, and nasal. His range was probably less than one octave. Crosby, Martin, and even Hope, were far better singers and entertainers. Never understood his popularity

Source(s): I actually STUDIED music.

"I'll Never Smile Again" performed with The Pied Pipers when Sinatra was a vocalist with the great Tommy Dorsey Band. This is one of his songs that stands out in my memory.

My mother was a huge fan of Frank Sinatra in the 1940's.

She and her friends used to chase after his tour bus, just like later the Beatlemania had young women going bonkers.

I think it was his smooth style and the way he seemed to sing to just that one special person in the audience that got those young women so excited about him.

Not sure if there was just one song that made them swoon.

• Piero

"Old Blue Eyes" was a good actor. His stage presence was as good as anybody's. As a singer, he lacked a lot. He tried to make up for his shortcomings as a singer and musician by "over acting". A lot of people liked it. I'd say his performance as Pvt Maggio (sp) in "From Here to Eternity" circa the mid '50s, did more for his fame, than his attempts at being a club crooner, or a Vegas performer, and local character.

Source(s): My own opinion.

I dont know which stage of his career you are thinking of because it stretched for 60 years. In his early career maybe "Ill Never Smile Again" with the Pied Pipers. In his middle career it may have been "The Lady Is A Tramp" and at the end of his career probably "My Way". He recorded so many songs, it is impossible to choose only one.

Yes, Send In the Clowns is about a love affair ending.

• ROXY

never was a Sinatra fan,and I can't think of a single song of his that stands out in my mind.