Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Why do Mormon missionaries get engaged/married so quickly after returning from missions?

Lol it's so weird, I met a few some time ago and they moved back home less than a month ago and several are already engaged!

Favorite Answer

A month? Thats idiotic, in my opinion. My mission president was not one of those that advised we marry soon, just marry right. I think there are two reasons is happens. One, you are matured and ready to create something meaningful and real like you mission was until there. You arent the typical 21 yr old getting wasted in college and sleeping around. You've been working your butt off and committed and maturing for 2 yrs. Its not a huge leap to do something along those lines when you return.

Secondly, temptations to get in trouble are always there. When you feel like you're with the person you will eventually end up with, theres not much point in waiting it out and tempting fate...the bad kind, that is.

But a month is stupid. I wouldnt marry anyone without at least 6 months. You need time to get past the butterflies, get in a fight, share a holiday or two.... Just see and know each other. That being said, I know a few couples that did the very thing you are talking about and are crazy in love still a decade and 3 kids later. So who knows.

Some get engaged fast, but implying that most get engaged within a month is a bit far fetched.

I waited 2 years, that's when I was both ready and met the girl of my dreams.

I'd say on average guys wait about 2 years after their missions - however if you spent your mission talking about the importance of families and eternal marriage you'd fall much faster than other would, it's natural.

A reality of modern relationships is the knowledge that divorce statistics have been steadily escalating in recent years. Tips for avoiding divorce https://tr.im/XufwJ

Even now, all marriages have between a 40 and 50 percent chance of divorce, which increases for second and third marriages, which is why it's more important than ever to have the necessary skills to ensure your relationship is secure against the threat of divorce.

• Jon

Everybody is different. I was home for 3 years before getting married. Most of my buddies waited longer than me. It's a personal issue, and frankly I don't think it's a great idea. I prefer getting to know someone longer than a few weeks before marrying that person. I've been happily married for 20 years and all is going great.

• A Cat

Spending 2 years away from home, teaching and serving others, really matures a person. It teaches them to be selfless and to love and serve others. It teaches them what's really important in life. They come home with no desire to just waste time and party and play for years and years. Return missionaries' desires have changed and they want to do something of real value; starting an eternal family of their own, and many of them are then mature and selfless enough to do it.

Goddess hunger + lonely mormon male hunger = Baby makes 3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84u5k4bboU4

Youtube thumbnail

- mormons, by mormons.

• india

Isn't missionary work a requirement for a temple sealed marriage?

Listen, those kids just do what they're told. The church hierarchy tells them what to do and they do it.