Do these characters sound interesting?

As I said in a previous question, my story is about the United States invading New Zealand because they want New Zealanders to worship America and become the 51st state.

My characters:

Mara: A 17 year old who is being held in a prison camp by the US army. She's witty, a little shy, and likes reading

James Winston: A cruel American military man that kills people for fun. Eventually becomes a love interest

Jayden: A small boy held in the same camp as Mara

Louis: Another one of Mara's best friends. Tall, dark-haired, and handsome.

@Susan: It's hard to have humanity when Americans are invading and killing you!

• Kayln
    Best Answer

oooh another good trait for Mara is being able to kick-butt like a pro when the people she cares about are in trouble. (example: Jayden slips in the mud while being forced to work and is getting beaten/whipped to unconsciousness, when Mara slips in and grabs the whip and starts choking the enforcer/solider.)

other then that i think they sound ok. :)

No, they sound very flat. Where are there goals, their conflicts, where do they grow? There must always be growth in a character. They should change from beginning to end. Little witch goes to witch school, she is hopeless at everything, but by the end is can do because she's learned not to doubt herself.

Where are there good and bad traits. They don't feel like human beings, just characters that fit into your story.

• Amber

I agree with Susan and she's not talking about humanity, she talking about making them more human and real. They're very boring and there's nothing to them. There like flat characters with very little anthing interesting about them The situation maybe interesting but the characters aren't.

I hope new Zealand wins. bloody americans