when the funeral home digs a hole in the ground for someones casket to go in..?

how do they do it without hitting the other casket buried right beside the hole? like one of your grandparent's dies an is buried an then the other one dies an is buried right beside each other, how do they dig the hole without hitting the casket already in the ground.

• James
    Favorite Answer

The cemetery workers (or us - funeral directors) would come to the cemetery early with thin metal prongs.

These prongs would be put into the ground where the previously buried vault / casket should be. Once the edge of that is determined, the new grave is marked out and dug.

Very large cemeteries may have things like ground penetrating radar to figure out exactly where things are, but most cemeteries use the above "tried and true" method.

Source(s): Funeral Service

I don't think it's the heat either. I think that it probably is boredom. It gives your dog something to do. He needs other less destructive things to entertain himself and some breeds dig more than other. My dog is a cockapoo toy poodle mix and every now and then he will dig in our yard.

There is certain amount of space that has to be allowed so the caskets don't bump/ brush one another & if that proctol isn't followed, that funeral home would have no busdiness, word of mouth is a powerful thing.

• NL

Most cemeteries require grave liners or vaults so the casket won't be harmed keeping loved ones safe.

Source(s): Foster Dad was a funeral director. And I worked briefly as a restoration artist.
  • Moe

some times they do hit the other casket .. i saw one that popped open and bones fall out . that is why they don't let anyone around while digging the hole.I saw 2 of them that was full of water ..talk about a bad smell ..it made one of the guys puke

Some use an X-ray machine, others a metal detector, others just dig and pray

Now days those backhoe mini-tractors are very precise, and…

Why am I answering this question, this is weird, ha.

dey must have a sspecial Machine to do it. ya'll.