?
Lv 7

Why do some anti-feminists assume if there is a law to deal with the wage gap that is works?

Do they acknowledge how hard it is to even find out if you are being paid less?

Employees are threatened if they try to find out the truth.

"Today, over 61 percent of private-sector employees report that discussing their wages is either prohibited or discouraged by employers."

http://www.nwlc.org/our-issues/employment/equal-pa...

Do they acknowledge loopholes in the law?

"Under the equal pay laws, when an employer is found to have paid female employees less than male employees for equal work, the employer may assert an affirmative defense that the pay differential is based on a “factor other than sex.” Some employers have argued for interpretations of this defense that are so broad that they may themselves be sex-based and allow historical wage discrimination to go unchecked. This decision dealt a blow to women’s and all workers’ ability to enforce their rights under the equal pay."

Do they acknowledge the barriers to coming together to fight against pay discrimination which make it difficult to challenge the discrimination in court?

"Under current law, it is extremely difficult for employees to band together to fight back against unfair pay. In 2001, female Wal-Mart workers joined together to challenge company-wide systemic discrimination in pay and promotions.94 The women alleged, among other things, that women in the same jobs as men in positions throughout the company were paid less than their male counterparts. In Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. v. Dukes , a deeply divided Supreme Court in a narrow 5-4 decision limited workers’ ability to come together as a group to challenge discrimination by large employers.95 "

Update:

@MrPhotographer Exactly! and you are not allowed to talk about it it either.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

because - they do not acknowledge that there must be enforcement

in the public domain that is usually a litigious process

the US also does not have a strong labour movement

companies have been allowed to shift profits from wages to themselves over the last 40 years - there is ample data to support this assertion ...

they also do not acknowledge the clustering of workers on minimum wages - which i think is a more pressing issue than wage gap - but related

• 7 years ago

You still have to explain why a faceless corporation WANTS to pay men more?

What exactly does General Motors or IBM gain by paying men more in a secret conspiracy to keep women's wages down?

How does this occur? And when it the next meeting? I'm being ripped off here. I make the same as the women performing the same job where I work!

What gives??

• Beer
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Because OFFICIAL stats show that women earn 95 cents for a dollar men make, for performing EXACTLY THE SAME JOB (same hours, same education, same experience,...); which is just above the standard error, making the 5 cents difference statistically and hence realistically (almost) irrelevant.

• 7 years ago

For the same reason you and your feminist sisters hate men and assume i am a bad person.

Its cus you are an ignorant close minded individual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

Isn't that the purpose of Trade Unions and Workers' Guilds? If the employee has evidence of a Law being broken by their employer, the Law is in their favour.

Regarding your link: I cannot accept as impartial, an organisation whose slogan is "We champion laws and policies that work for women and families". I'm guessing the families bit was added so as not to alienate?

• 7 years ago

I'm probably biased, but I think many anti-feminists are ignorant or haven't actually looked at statistics that show that women aren't being paid equally. Some people argue that men hold more CEO positions, so they skew the results. This is true, but on average women CEO's are still paid less than the average male CEO. People need to look at all the data, in my opinion

• Zante
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

If that is true why are men even employed at all?

Large corporations would save millions every year by employing only women.

Do you really think that General Motors, Walmart or UPS would spend a few extra million just "because penis"?

• According to the United States Labor Department, the primary beneficiaries of affirmative action are white women. The Department of Labor estimated that 6 million women workers are in higher occupational classifications today than they would have been without affirmative action policies.

http://www.ncsu.edu/project/oeo-training/aa/benefi...

That site is a Women's site so of course it would lies and isn't credible. I can't even find the article you're even referring to.

April 2, 2013

American women who work full time, year round are paid only 77 cents for every dollar paid to their male counterparts. But the wage gap is even larger for many women of color working full time, year round, as African-American women are paid only 64 cents, and Hispanic women only 54 cents, for every dollar paid to white, non-Hispanic men. These gaps translated into a loss of $18,650 for African-American women and $24,111 for Hispanic women in 2012. Closing the wage gap is, therefore, particularly important for African-American and Hispanic women, who are already more likely to have lower incomes and to be in poverty than virtually all other groups. This fact sheet explores the wage gap for women of color and the particular effect the gap has one them and their families.

Hmm since White women make more than other races of men it's fine but only when it's a White man it's wrong .

• 7 years ago

I'd just be happy if they'd quit claiming feminists "...believe teachers should make the same as doctors"!!! Feminists have NEVER claimed that!!!

Most discrimination is extremely difficult to prove. Even the MRAs can't tell you HOW a person knows whether or not individuals even GOT their job based on Affirmative Action, or any other means!

• Thomas
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

I know, right? They believe that feminism should just drop off the face of the planet because there are some laws on paper. It's irrational and naive to believe that all men are going to follow these laws, especially considering how sexist so many of them are in this little tiny section of the internet. If it's this bad here, just imagine how bad it is in the real world!! This is just another perfect example of anti-feminists getting scared because they're losing their male privilege ever so slowly. Otherwise, they would just drop it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.