John asked in PetsRodents · 7 years ago

Rogue Mouse!!! Why did she escape and return?

I was playing with my mice, and then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw something.

Something that made me think-- "Why is there a little white fuzz ball that looks like Hera, outside the top bars of the cage?" And then, I saw two little red eyes. She didn't make a run for it, and just climbed around the desk and cage for a bit, then let me life her back into the cage. I was panicking and swearing and just freaking out. So, why did she escape, and then immediately return? Thank you for any answers, this is urgent, so I can make sure it doesn't happen again. (Side note, I also have suspicions that Hera has escaped before, and come back in. Is that possible?) Thanks, and goodbye!

• Dancer
    Favorite Answer

I once didn't snap the lid of my cage back on completely and I woke up to find my mice running around the bookcase. They were just exploring and sniffing around. They know where their nest, water and food is! I walked over to them and said "hey!" And they all paused and sniffed in my general direction. Then I said "come'on lets go. Back in the cage" And they all scampered back. If I were you I would keep your cage on a bookshelf. If they do escape (they aren't stupid enough to jump off the shelf unless their hoppers!) they'll just be stuck on the shelf.

Honestly I think your mouse needs a different cage because the truth Is,is a mouse will escape if given the prope chance, you need to invest in a cage that has smaller bars and plus if she escapes and then comes back you don't have to worry.

That just shows the bond you have with Hera. And a pet mouse will go exploring its in there nature and once they are out they will realize their life was easier in that cage and they will go back.

Source(s): I've had experience with both domestic and wild rats and mice.

Yes it is psssible she's done it before and why not? Wouldn't you want to explore outside your home a little? She sounds like a smart mouse to come back like she did and maybe has? It's a tough world out here for a little mouse and she probably realizes how good life at home is

She's just an attention seeking whore mouse.