Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

Do you support the Hobby Lobby lawsuit? Do you think that "businesses can have religion"?

In case you are not familiar with it:

Hobby Lobby’s owners, who are Christian...feel that their right to worship freely is being denied by the Affordable Care Act. (ObamaCare)

Hobby Lobby is a privately held for-profit company, with five hundred stores selling arts-and-crafts supplies and thirteen thousand full-time employees, not all of them Christians.

Under the A.C.A., a company like that needs to get its workers insurance that meets minimum standards or else pay a fine. One of those standards is preventive health care for women; that includes contraception.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/20...

@Truth - I do not disagree. Are you claiming "For-Profit Businesses can have a religion?"

Favorite Answer

they have the same religion as the rest of them.

It is called greed, and they worship the dollar.

Health care doesn't "infringe" on anybody, nor does it impede any body's ability to worship as they wish.

But, just like the church, they can "translate" all that hell they raise into money.

Publicity is worth millions, if you can get on TV!

They are simple fraudsters, same as the church they falsely claim to represent.

Same old, same old...

(for once I agree with Hog warsh)

• Truth

According to the Supreme Court the government has to prove a compelling interest to take away anyone's religious rights (regardless of whether or not they own a business). Myself I don't like the government to interfere with anyone's religious rights because I know that you only have the rights of your least popular minority.

Edit

A person who owns the business takes the greatest responsibility for the business. They have a right to determine the values of the business. Anyone who disagrees has the right to not shop or be employed there.

I am amused and amazed by the people who are ranting about the boss not having the right for this or that, but willing to give those decisions unilaterally over to the government. The boss at least has seen the place you work. Obama, not so much.

No Chance: Hobby Lobby isn't dictating who can have what kind of birth control. They are only saying what they are willing to pay for. Yes, when I am paying your medical insurance I have the right to have an opinion on what kind of care you will have.

• TJ.

NO! For various reason That would alloy employers to push their religious views on everyone who works for them .

What if i created my own Pseudo Religion, and my religious rule of conduct involve medical matter

eg no blood transfusion and no transplant because i dictate it as a sort of Cannibalism?

But big question is why Birth Control?

Contraception is the use various devices, drugs, agents, sexual practices, or surgical procedures to prevent conception or impregnation http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2012/02...

Why should A company be responsible for the cost for Planned Parenthood choice which is about having sex? something which had history since 1850 BCE. That just sound blimey..

Ah? And can they claim they also don't want to cover cancer drugs or care, because they believe they can pray it away? Does that make sense? And, can they choose not to cover surgery, because some surgery might be to tie the tubes of men or women? And since these "Christians" get to decide what their employees can do with their bodies, I guess that sort of contraception would also be out, right?

I do not support the Hobby Lobby lawsuit. People can have religion. A business is a legal fictional entity that is able to transact business. That should be the end of it.

For profit businesses--whether private or corporate--do not have unlimited religious protection:

"When followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity as a matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a matter of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory schemes which are binding on others in that activity."

-- Chief Justice Warren Burger; from decision 'Lee v. United States' (1982)

http://www.broowaha.com/articles/13022/freedom-fro...

Your religious rights end when you interfere with the civil rights of others, and the law!

What if your idiot religion demanded that you sacrifice every 100th customer? Or every employee that doesn't worship you?

To deny people health care because of your idiot beliefs must be dealt with decisively and legally!

If you do not have the ethics to run your own life, the laws are made for YOU!

Nope, I sure don't support Hobby Lobby's position. Freedom of religion entitles one to make religiously-nuanced healthcare decisions for oneself and perhaps for one's dependents. It does not entitle business owners to make healthcare decisions on their employees' behalf.

The ACA is a doomed half-step when every other civilized nation on the planet has already seen the Way, Truth and Light of single-payer healthcare.

• Aaron

It's private. They can wear straw hats and dance around in their underwear and sing The Pee Pee Dance song if they wanted to. I've had just about enough of people trying to infringe on the rights of people. If the workers are upset, whoopty doo! They knew it was private when they applied for a job. They could go work for the government if they want. They seem to think it's okay to kill innocents, condone and SUPPORT gay marriage, and all sorts of other scandalous acts.

• ?

>>One of those standards is preventive health care for women; that includes contraception.<<

Because babies are a disease?