Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 7 years ago

Do you support the Hobby Lobby lawsuit? Do you think that "businesses can have religion"?

In case you are not familiar with it:

Hobby Lobby’s owners, who are Christian...feel that their right to worship freely is being denied by the Affordable Care Act. (ObamaCare)

Hobby Lobby is a privately held for-profit company, with five hundred stores selling arts-and-crafts supplies and thirteen thousand full-time employees, not all of them Christians.

Under the A.C.A., a company like that needs to get its workers insurance that meets minimum standards or else pay a fine. One of those standards is preventive health care for women; that includes contraception.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/20...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No, I don't think businesses can have religion. Individuals certainly do, but they are still obliged to obey the laws of the land. What the owners of Hobby Lobby choose to believe is up to them. How they choose to act, isn't. People, Christians and all other faiths have all sorts of religious beliefs. It's not possible to allow each and everyone to choose which laws they will observe and which they won't. If we follow the logic of the Hobby Lobby lawsuit, and the owners were Jehovah's Witnesses, they would refuse to pay for blood transfusions and Christian Scientists would refuse to cover any medical treatment.

• Tmess2
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

It depends upon the type of business. There are three basic types of business organizations in the U.S. -- sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations.

A sole proprietorship is owned by one person and the net income of that business is considered to be the income of the owner for tax purposes. Because the business does not have a separate legal existence apart from the owner, the owner can legitimately claim that any obligation imposed on the business is a personal obligation imposed on himself/herself.

A partnership is owned by multiple persons, but otherwise it is similar to a sole proprietorship as the net income of the partnership is treated as the personal income of the partners (allocated in accordance with their shares in the partnership). So if all the partners share the same views, an obligation imposed on the business can be viewed as a personal obligation imposed on the partners.

A corporation can be owned by one or multiple people, but it has a separate legal existence from the owners. The owners can't be sued for misconduct by the business. The income of the corporation is not attributed to the owners for tax purposes. With limited exceptions for some non-profit, the purpose of the corporation is not to further any religious creed. Because the corporation is separate from the owners of the corporation, it does not share the religious beliefs of its owners and has no free exercise right to be violated by the Affordable Care Act.

While it has been some time since the last major free exercise case, there are two justices (Kennedy and Scalia) still on the Supreme Court who were members of the majority when the Supreme Court held that the free exercise clause only protects the right to believe but not the right to act on that belief. If the Supreme Court rules for the companies, it will have to rule based on the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which does provide some protection for individuals who act on their beliefs.

• Jeff D
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

This wouldn't be a problem if liberals didn't think birth control was so expensive that it needed to be covered by health insurance. The reality is that for most people, birth control is quite affordable. Obamacare goes out of its way to make birth control an issue when it doesn't need to be.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

This whole thing has been well thought out when liberal bought out that fool that talked of how expensive her contraceptive were and the government should pay for it, I thought it more then just this

Just as when Obama wife talked of ''we are still paying off our student loans'' I said that B/s they made millions off of his two bios their a message here their sending out a message

I really believe when America see what Obama and gang are really up too there going to thousands surrounding the white house and they will not be taking pictures

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

The issue seems very cut and dried:

"When followers of a particular sect enter into commercial activity as a matter of choice, the limits they accept on their own conduct as a matter of conscience and faith are not to be superimposed on the statutory schemes which are binding on others in that activity."

-- Chief Justice Warren Burger; from decision 'Lee v. United States' (1982)

• Desire
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Absolutely.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Yes. I also believe that Catholic hospitals should not be forced to provide abortions. I also believe that nurses and other medical personnel should not be forced to participate in abortions if it is against their conscience to do so.

• Shilo
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

No, I do not support this lawsuit; in fact, I will no longer patronize Hobby Lobby......it's Michael's for me from now on.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.