Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 7 years ago

R & S: When talking to people do you talk over their head?

If you talk about a subject like evolution or religion do you talk on the person's level or make them try to talk on yours.

If they don't have your background, do you simplify what you are saying.

Sometimes I have had discussions on topics like evolution and I had some basic understanding but the other person started using big words and scoffing at my lack of comprehension.

To me it seems that when people do this, they are trying to feed their ego rather than actually get somewhere.

And because they know something that you don't doesn't make them right. Because there is always someone who knows something that they don't and can provide an answer possibly.

Got proof-My IQ has been tested and I can grasp basic principles. Also the other mistake people make when communicating is using words like "sock puppet." No one wants to be called a name so they may go along with what you are saying so as not to be scorned and made fun of. So using big words and laughing isn't practicing critical thinking. And using derogatory words and laughing isn't practicing critical thing.

Becky-"It is your responsibility to educate yourself." Not totally true because everyone is uneducated on some topic. If they know science well, they may not know something else. Then the person that has that advantage over them can say: "It is your fault for not educating yourself."

Also some have burdens that interfere with education, like poverty, emotional problems, children, etc.

Less educated people or less intelligent people do have a right to join the debate sometimes. Because sometimes they have some common sense to offer. Even a child can point something out. Medical students were examining tissue (maybe I am getting a detail wrong in this story but am basically right) and missed these little pictures of gorillas that were put on the film.

But back to what I was saying about the child. Sometimes a child can see something that no one else can.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

You got it right. Some people THINK they are smart and that alone proves them wrong.

Smart people on the other hand know their limitations.

• Arnie

The mystery's of faith an GOD are beyond human comprehension

Faith concerns questions which cannot be settled by evidence.

I think it's very sad that if someone does not have faith they would want others to agree with them!

How can the universe create itself out of nothingness? Given the fact that the universe began to exist, it must have had a “cause” that originated it.Doesn't it make more sense to assume the existence of a Creation. The question is tricky because it sneaks in the false assumption that GOD came from somewhere and then asks where that might be. The answer is that the question does not even make sense. It is like asking, “What does blue smell like?” Blue is not in the category of things that have a smell, so the question itself is flawed. In the same way, GOD is not in the category of things that are created or caused. GOD is uncaused and uncreated—He simply exists.

We know that from nothing, nothing comes. So, if there were ever a time when there was absolutely nothing in existence, then nothing would have ever come into existence. But things do exist. Therefore, since there could never have been absolutely nothing, something had to have always been in existence. That ever-existing being is what we call GOD ,GOD is the un-caused Being that caused everything else to come into existence. God is the uncreated Creator who created the universe and everything in it.

The universe requires a cause because it had a beginning, GOD unlike the universe, had no beginning, so he doesn’t need a cause. Einstein’s theory of general relativity, which has much experimental support, shows that time is linked to matter and space. So time itself would have begun along with matter and space. Since GOD is the creator of the whole universe, he is the creator of time. Therefore He is not limited by the time dimension He created..@

Life without GOD is like an un- sharpened pencil it has no point..

You can't see the wind, but you know it is there because you can see what the wind is doing. You can know that the wind is there because you can feel it.GOD is like the wind, you can't see him

Explaining concepts simply is beneficial, however oversimplification is a problem. If you oversimplify certain concepts you can end up with an incorrect conclusion.

"Less educated people or less intelligent people do have a right to join the debate sometimes. Because sometimes they have some common sense to offer."

Common sense can lead to problems in understanding an issue. It was once common sense that the earth was at the center of the solar system (the geocentric view), however a few centuries ago with the work of others, the modern view of the solar system in which the sun is the center of the solar system was developed. Through scientific investigation, the correct view of the solar system was developed versus what was previously viewed as common sense.

"The Copernican Model: A Sun-Centered Solar System"

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/retrograde...

If people want to join a debate/discussion on a particular issue, they should perform a sufficient amount of research first so that they can give a logical and informed response to someone that holds an opposing viewpoint.

I Try to have a Conversation with them to an extent, however when the people in the conversation begin to argue? well, the best tactic is to give each person the benefit of the doubt, at least at first. Every question, honestly and truthfully answered, gives that person a chance to hear the gospel. But if that person is just arguing, being hostile, or otherwise not listening, it’s probably time to go somewhere else. Some people are totally and absolutely hardened to the gospel (Proverbs 29:1). They may be rational or irrational, but there are scriptural reasons to believe that some people are willingly immune to the influence of the Holy Spirit (Genesis 6:3). When we have made a good-faith effort to talk to someone, and he or she is unreachable, then we are commanded to “shake the dust off” of our shoes (Luke 9:5) and spend our time talking to those who are more spiritually open. As in all things, the wisdom of God is crucial. God has promised that wisdom to us if we ask (James 1:5), and we should pray for it and trust God’s prompting to know how and when to end the dialog with a hostile crowd or an atheist.

Source(s): TR
  • ?

It is YOUR responsibility to educate yourself. Ignorance isn't an excuse. If you want to join in on a discussion, it's your choice. Like the old saying goes, if you don't like what is on a certain TV channel, change the channel. If you cannot handle the discussion, either educate yourself to the level that you can participate or leave the discussion and find something which you can handle.

• ?

You get what you give. If I am discussing something about religion (or any topic for that matter) with someone then I usually show a little open mindedness to their perspective. I never scream in their face or talk down to them just for the sake of making myself feel more intelligent.

Honey, I couldn't talk down to most anybody if I tried. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed myself, LOL.

However, in real life I have some friends who make me look like Einstein. We are friends, so of course I am sensitive of feelings & will absolutely adjust my choice of words to be more inclusive.

PS: for the record....education does NOT make people smart....I work with plenty of college grads who are dumber than a post...seriously.....I know plenty of undereducated peeps who are pretty freakin smart....

never confuse the two, m'kay?

• mischa

I adjust my speaking to fit the occassion and the person that I am speaking with. For example, when I am speaking with other doctors I will speak formally, when I speak with someone that is less educated I will speak using their levels of vocabulary, and when I speak with a child I speak to them in terms that they can understand. I agree with you that some people speak to feed their own ego and that can come across as rude or self-serving.

Source(s): PhD
  • ?

there were 2 or 3 times in my life where i would shout at people to make them hear. that proved to be a very wrong tactic.

its often said that honey attracts more flies.

well, i dont know if that is absolutely true, but with LOVE unfeigned we can overcome hate and bring those that are perceived to be enemies into freindship and brotherly fidelity. or fraternity. With Love we can overcome evil.

It's pretty rude to talk down to people. Then again, sometimes you're talking to people whose comprehension and knowledge are so lacking, you really can't discuss complex concepts with them at all, and no matter what you say, you'll be zooming over their heads.

Evolution can't be explained with sock puppets.