Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 7 years ago

ACA website cost under $2 per capita. You pay $2 per month to provide free cell phones to the poor?

http://factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/

The Obama Phone?

"Welfare recipients, and others, can receive a free cell phone...

"...it is funded through the Universal Service Fund, which is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company, an independent, not-for-profit corporation set up by the Federal Communications Commission. The USF is sustained ... in the form of a universal service fee you might see on your monthly phone bill.

"The SafeLink program has actually been offering cell phones to low-income households in some states since 2008..."

Check your telephone bill.

You are paying as much per month for free cell phones as you paid one time for the ACA website.

The free cell phones program is costing you as much as one Obamacare website EVERY MONTH.

How do you like them apples, America?

Why are we doing this?

Felonious, every word I quoted came from that link.

If you can find anything that isn't supported, please let me know.

Otherwise, you're just trollin'....

Joe, your knowledge has always been highly questionable at best.

James K, the law can be changed.

This Universal Service Fee is operating beneath the radar screen of most Americans.

I think this law would be changed if people knew the truth.

Favorite Answer

I don't justify any reckless spending, thanks.

Yes, and in 2008, George W Bush was president. Obama was not inaugurated until January 2009, thus such phones should properly be called Bush phones.

Moreover, if you object to paying the Universal Service Fee as promulgated by the FCC, you simply end your telephone service. There is no requirement to own a telephone and support installing rural telephone lines (the lion's share of the fund), or support the poor Lifeline service (which gives about $10 a month to those who are eligible). It is an entirely voluntary fee.

I love it when cons don't read their own links:

Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.

Edit: Why didn't you provide the full quote? Did you think nobody would notice? Here's the text that appears BEFORE the text you quoted.

"SafeLink is run by a subsidiary of América Móvil, the world’s fourth largest wireless company in terms of subscribers, but it is not paid for directly by the company. Nor is it paid for with "tax payer money," as the e-mail claims.."

Source(s): Source - your link

The advanced fighter program cost 300 BILLION dollars, or 600 times what the ACA website cost so far.

I can use ACA, they won't let me fly the fighter to my knowledge, nor does it protect our country better than what we have to my knowledge.