York University Kineseology and Health Sciences or Biomedical Sciences?

Hi, I'm a Gr. 12 Ontario student and started thinking about which university programs to apply for. I'm looking quite strongly at York for multiple reasons, one of which is that it's quite literally a 10 minute walk from my house, and was wondering if Kin. or Biomed. would offer the best preparation for a career in medicine or graduate school and becoming a researcher or getting involved in academia.

I like what I hear about the Kin program, especially course wise, but am also attracted to the Biomed as I love research and the like. Which one would best prepare for medicine (for getting in and staying in) and offer greater chances for graduate work?

I guess another question would be how competitive are the two to get into? I'm sitting at about a 93-94 with top six, and wondering if I'd be able to comfortably apply there without a worry. Thanks a lot.

Favorite Answer

You're gonna get an early acceptance from York for both programs. I got an offer within two weeks with a mid-80 average.

Both kin and biomed are a good way to go if you want to go into medicine. Neither program guarantees you a better chance for graduate work, since it all really depends on who you are and what you do.

The kin program is good because you pretty much have to take one PKIN each semester, which is basically you getting credits for playing sports. The facilities are great too.

On the other hand, biomed is probably better for research. Either way, you can definitely do research if you look for a position early enough, especially during the summers. Look through the program breakdowns, find out which courses you'll have to take specifically, and talk to people who are in those programs.

Good luck!

Source(s): 2nd year uni student :)