Why do poorly informed individuals pretend to be knowledgeable and wise?

Why do poorly informed individuals have a strong desire to be perceived as wise?

Favorite Answer

That is a systematic error people make. It is so common that there even is a psychological term for it:

Dunning-Kruger-effect.

They don't pretend to themselves. They are just so poorly informed they actually think they are knowledgeable and wise.

• Harry

Some people just like to hear the sound of their own voice I think. They can go on and on for hours, and either say false information, or else useless things that don't matter. It's quite annoying.

• Bob K

And how would you know that they're not? What if you were the poorly informed? Who's to judge?

It's because the least informed people always think they are the most informed.

See also: Fox 'News' viewers.

Ah! I know why that is. Yes, I do, because I'm so wise.

• sandie

ignorant and proud of it. you can't fix stupid. there are so many things they don't know they don't know and want to keep it that way. they have nothing to do with the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

I don't know. You tell me.

Perhaps we seek adulation

No one wants to appear stupid.

It's all they can do, is pretend.