Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 6 years ago

Is it too late to become an airline pilot?

Hello, I would like to get some other peoples' opinions on this matter.

As a kid I dreamed about becoming an airline pilot and started flying when I was 16, c-150 and c-172. Unfortunately life got in the way so to speak; I became sick, lost my medical and was grounded for years. I thought the dream was dead, however I ave recently regained my medical and want to keep going.

here is my problem. I am 31 and only have little more than 200 hours flying in small crates in VFR conditions. I will not be able to back to flight school until next year, I will be 32 then. By the time I finish flight school ( commercial, multi, IFR, Instructor) I will most likely be 34 or damn clos to 34. At the age of 34 I will have all the requirements except for flight time. Even if I am able to fly continously I will be pusing 40 by the time I meet the minimum requiremnets for airlines.

So, my question is this. Will airlines even consider someone who is nearly 40, only has the minimum requirements for the job and ( unfortunately ) has had a run of bad luck health wise?

Should I continue chasing my dream or realistically should I close that chapter once and for all and focus on other things in life?

Best Answer

(1) The regional airlines are still within reach, but the major airlines probably won't be.

(2) The fact that you were medically grounded is a permanent part of your record as an airman. An employer will know this when they do a background check with the FAA. Depending on what you were grounded for, it could ruin your chance of flying for an airline, especially if there is any chance of a recurrence of that condition.

(3) The major airlines will only consider pilots over 40 who have a significant amount of flying experience, preferably in jets, preferably with significant pilot-in-command time. After age 45, you're pretty much out of the running for a major airline job.

There are presently far more qualified airline pilots than there are jobs for them. Airlines are therefore very choosy. Your age in itself is not a problem, but even if you pass all their medicals with flying colours they may well decide that employing you is an unnecessary gamble.

I have a friend who finally qualified as a commercial airline pilot at the age of 41, since then all he's managed to get is First Officer posts with short-haul cargo carriers who mostly fly overnight.

He was earning a similar sum and saw far more of his family when he was a minicab driver. But he still insists that he loves his job and wouldn't want to do anything else.

You'll need a lot of luck even if you do invest in training yourself to be able to fly commercial airliners and will likely end up as my friend has, in the lower-paid, less-popular jobs, which make absolutely no sense in relation to the costs of your training. So it really depends upon how much you love flying and how determined you are to succeed and how much you're prepared to accept the possibility of failure.

I don't see why not. You just need to build hours which is possible to do at a fast rate. Most commuter airlines will take who they can get and Probably will not pay attention to your age. I think you need 2500 hours in order to be eligible to be hired by a commuter bc that's FAA rules.

Most Airlines hire only trained pilots coming out of a Military background, so in your situation you would be VERY unlikely to get hired...

But it can't hurt to try, right?

regionals: perhaps.

majors: no.

what was your health issue? if you can't get a 1st class medical, the whole discussion is pointless.

hey man try in some other countries like asian countries . i saw 60+ pilot in pakistan.be happy