Xtians: Okay, just to clear things up--is it possible to follow Christ without knowing it? Why?

Thanks in advance.

Update:

1ofU: Probably the most coherent answer I'll get. Let's give it a chance though, eh?

Update 2:

D: And you were appointed Lord High Commissioner of Atheists when, exactly? Seems the only person looking to start a fight this question is you

Update 3:

(((DD!))): Thank you. In your first paragraph, are you talking about two people or one person who fits all the criteria? Thanks.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The properly informed and functioning conscience in tune and "co-natured" with Natural Law, the non-believer that has never heard the gospel message but lives a moral life... this person unknowingly follows Christ.

The Baptized infant, the mentally disabled, the comatose that spent their entire lives as disciples, these unknowingly follow Christ.

Edit; One person in the first paragraph. You're welcome ((Mags))) Still waiting on that e-mail!

• 7 years ago

Specifically no.

However it is quite possible to live a good, joyful even Christ-like life without being aware of Jesus specifically.

this is why Jesus preached in Hell during the 3 days he was dead. More to the point he went to Purgatory and Hell and to all those who had been good honest and charitable men in life were raised from Hell to Purgatory or from Purgatory to Heaven.

Being a good, moral, humble, benevolent , tolerant and helpful person IS living a Christ-like life.

the same life as if you had heard His words.

And since you must live your faith and be an example to others of that faith then in that way yes.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

It is not possible to follow Christ without knowing it. However, this is still true: Romans 2:14

12 For all those who sinned without law will also perish without law; but all those who sinned under law will be judged by law. 13 For the hearers of law are not the ones righteous before God, but the doers of law will be declared righteous. 14 For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts, while their conscience is bearing witness with them, and by their own thoughts they are being accused or even excused. 16 This will take place in the day when God through Christ Jesus judges the secret things of mankind, according to the good news I declare.

Surrounding verses for context.

• Tiger
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Impossible. Faith comes by hearing and knowing.

14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!”

16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.

10:14, 15 Paul’s main point in this series of rhetorical questions is that a clear presentation of the gospel message must precede true saving faith. True faith always has content—the revealed Word of God. Salvation comes to those who hear and believe the facts of the gospel.

10:15 BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS. Quoted from Is 52:7. It is the message of good news which those feet carry that is so welcome.

10:17 faith comes from hearing. See note on vv. 14, 15. the word of Christ. This means “the message about Christ”—the gospel (cf. Mt 28:19, 20; Ac 20:21).

MIMI

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Yes. Anyone who leads a morally upright life is following Christ. That is not to say that two people, both upright, will agree on everything. Some issues have lots of grey.

• 1ofU
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Well, last week I followed the same car for about 20 miles and it pulled into the driveway of my neighbor just before I pulled into my driveway. Maybe Jesus was driving. I'll ask Liz and Rusty the next time I see them.

Opps, sorry! I'm not an Xtian. Does it matter?

• 7 years ago

Yes, and it's better that way. Follow the method , not the man. Open your heart to all living things.

• No. The only way to follow Him is to be empowered by the Holy Spirit and informed by His word; both of which will make you aware of Whom you follow.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.