Could I be in trouble with air traffic contollers?

I am a private pilot and I fly small single engine planes under VFR conditions. The other day I was on a cross country trip to a large airport that has all the bells and whistles required to handle accomodate arriving commercial flight in IFR conditions. The controller asked me a strange questions that I have never... show more I am a private pilot and I fly small single engine planes under VFR conditions. The other day I was on a cross country trip to a large airport that has all the bells and whistles required to handle accomodate arriving commercial flight in IFR conditions. The controller asked me a strange questions that I have never been asked before. he asked me if I was planning on coming in on a visual approach. I might have misunderstood what he meant but it seemed to me that he was asking me to choose between a VFR approac or an instrument approach. I felt like saying," I am a private pilot in a single engine airplane in VFR conditions, of course I am going to come in visually, d'uh"!! But in the spirit of having a sense of humor I actually said," yes, I do think I will keep my eyes open during the approach it works better if i use my vision during landing". I was just joking but he seemed kind of mad. I know that the radio is only for proper communication, not messing around, so could I be in trouble? Altough he doesn't know my name he knows the aircraft registration which means it wouldn't be hard to track me down. What is the worst that might happen?

Also, can anyone with more flying experience than myself explain why he asked a single engine pilot in VFR conditions if I was going to land visually? I have been around airports my whole life( my dad was a pilot) and I have never heard of anyone performing instrument approaches in a c-172 in VFR consitions, except for training. I ave never been asked this question before and it just seemed strange to me
Update: Just to clarify what I meant by registration is the aircraft's call sign.