Should the Israeli Parliament erect a Christmas tree in front of its building?

There was a request from a Christian member of the Israeli Parliament to erect a tree in front of the Knesset and the request was refused. Your opinions?!

I personally agree with the parliaments decline because Israel is a Jewish State and it symbol itself as it. Plus many people would protest and would be upset about it.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Harper
    Lv 5
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Why cause the fight? I think no christmas tree would be better than making people mad

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

While Israel is the Jewish state,

it never the less has a substantialy robust separation of church and state

(in some ways more than the US - as, for example - the state completely stays away from religious marriage)

As such - in Israel, trees, crosses, etc. are put up by churches ...there are realy no equivalents I can think of for the Bahai or the Jews or the Muslims -- but to the degree there may be -- they are put up by the relevant religious groups.

Of course -- the symbol of Israel is the Menorah -- but this is not the Hanukkah symbol deified in America to make the Christmass displays seem more inclusive --

rather, it is the 7-branched menorah -- used for near unto three thousand years as the symbol of the political state of Israel.

• ?
    Lv 5
    7 years ago

They shouldn't have to, no. There are indeed Israeli people who celebrate Christmas, but not at all a significant portion of the population. The overwhelming majority of Israelis do not.

This of course is different in comparison to the U.S., where the majority of the population celebrates Christmas, but they are not the overwhelming majority. There are significant portions of Americans who do not celebrate Christmas.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.