Jehovah's Witness what is meant in the Verse from Hebrews 1:4?

So he has become better than the angels+ to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than their.. [NWT]

I am asking what is meant by he INHERITED a name. The verse does not say he was given and was named but he "inherited" which means that the name existed by someone of something and he inherited it. So who was it that he inherited from and what that means?

Update:

Come on JW's this is an easy question. You are completely missing the point. I am asking what is meant by he INHERITED a name?

Update 2:

@ TeeM - So you really believe that angels are born instead of created?

Update 3:

Not one Jehovah's Witness is getting the correct answer and it's right there in front of you. I'm not going to give it to you either. I'll just close out the question before I give it to you. It's so easy, yet you guys make it so hard.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The name that is more excellent than the name of any angel (including Michael), the name that the risen, resurrected and glorified Jesus inherited from his Father is God. Check out John chapter 1.

While we're on the subject of Hebrews, which proves conclusively that the Son of God was never a created angel, here are some insights into the key points of the book:

Key Verses: Hebrews 1:1-2: "In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.”

Hebrews 2:3: "How shall we escape if we ignore such a great salvation…"

Hebrews 4:14-16: "Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need."

Hebrews 11:1: “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.”

Hebrews 12:1-2: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Brief Summary: The Book of Hebrews addresses three separate groups: believers in Christ, unbelievers who had knowledge of and an intellectual acceptance of the facts of Christ, and unbelievers who were attracted to Christ, but who rejected Him ultimately. It’s important to understand which group is being addressed in which passage. To fail to do so can cause us to draw conclusions inconsistent with the rest of Scripture.

The writer of Hebrews continually makes mention of the superiority of Christ in both His personage and in His ministering work. In the writings of the Old Testament, we understand the rituals and ceremonies of Judaism symbolically pointed to the coming of Messiah. In other words, the rites of Judaism were but shadows of things to come. Hebrews tells us that Christ Jesus is better than anything mere religion has to offer. All the pomp and circumstance of religion pales in comparison to the person, work, and ministry of Christ Jesus. It is the superiority of our Lord Jesus, then, that remains the theme of this eloquently written letter.

Connections: Perhaps nowhere in the New Testament does the Old Testament come into focus more than in the Book of Hebrews, which has as its foundation the Levitical priesthood. The writer to the Hebrews constantly compares the inadequacies of the Old Testament sacrificial system to the perfection and completion in Christ. Where the Old Covenant required continual sacrifices and a once-a-year atonement for sin offered by a human priest, the New Covenant provides a once-for-all sacrifice through Christ (Hebrews 10:10) and direct access to the throne of God for all who are in Him.

P.S. I am no longer a Jehovah's Witness.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Sons inherit.

since all the angels are sons of God, which angel / son would inherit a better name?

Vs 6 God's first born.

Not a hard scripture to understand if you have accurate knowledge.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together

And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Hebrews 1:6 And when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says,

Firstborn: adjective

1. first in the order of birth; eldest.

Jesus is God's eldest son.

• Keith
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Angels are created, spiritual beings who are Servants of God. The word 'angel' means "messenger." Though they also have power to become visible in human form, they are incorporeal beings, possessing intellect, emotion, and will. Verse 3 above it "Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high." Jesus Christ, is the agent of God's revelation, is far superior to the Old Testament prophets. Their message was fragmentary and incomplete. Because Jesus is the Son of God and because He is the message for the last days. His incarnation marked the end time, and it will be fulfilled when He returns to earth to reconcile and restore all things. Christ's person, power, and position are all expressed in this verse. He is described as 'being the brightness ' of God's glory In tandem with 'inherited a name more excellent ' The word 'being' whose force is 'eternally being," guards against the idea that Jesus became the Son at some point during His earthly ministry. He did not become deity. He always was equal with the Father. The attributes ascribed to Him express His very nature. They were neither added or taken away from Him during His earthly life.The "brightness" spoken of here refers to a radiance or a shining forth of the divine glory. As the rays are intrinsically related to the sin, with neither one existing apart from the other, so the Father and the Son are essentially one. Further, the Son is the 'express image' or imprint (as of a die perfectly representing the original design) of the Father's person (nature). The radiant light implies the oneness of the Son with the Father; the imprint expresses the distinctness of the Son from the Father. Yet, oneness and distinctness are implicit in each; thus they enhance and balance each other. "Upholding all things" manifest the power of the Son. In Hebrews 2v2: Jesus has already been presented as the Creator and hence the 'Heir' or all things. Certainly he is far superior to the prophets with whom He has just been compared, and to the Angels to whom He will be compared "Upholding" more precisely stated, describes the Son as "carrying" all things.

Source(s): The Bible KJV
  • BJ
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

the apostle Paul wrote to the Hebrews: “He Jesus has become better than the angels, to the extent that he has inherited a name more excellent than theirs.” (Hebrews 1:4)

However, this describes his situation after his having been here on earth. He was still the archangel and “the beginning of the creation by God.” (Revelation 3:14) But he became better than the angels.

The ‘more excellent name’ or position is something he did not possess before coming to earth.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • jeni
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Who was anointed by God, Matt.3:16,17; Luke 3:21-23; Matt.16:16,17; Who was

given all power over heaven and earth, by the GIVER, Matt.28:18-20; who gives

all power back to the GIVER, and when? 1Cor.15:22-28,51-53. Who is the Lord

and Savior of the world? John 3:16. when all is done, God is all in all. Matt.22:37-

40, John 14:13 -15, 28.

Psm.2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son;

this day have I begotten thee.

Acts.13:33 God hath fulfilled the same unto us their children, in that he hath raised

up Jesus again; as it is also written in the second psalm, Thou art my Son, this

day have I begotten thee.

Heb.1:5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this

day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to

me a Son?

Read all of Heb.1:1-13[as Acts 2:27-35; all enemies to be under the feet of the

heavenly, as at Matt.25:31-34, only the holy to be there, a place is prepared for

John 6:44; 14:3,6, as Matt.24:3,7,14,36, when done, the end of the world will

come, there is much to take place in the time of the end, none go to heaven

until Satan is not allowed to come near heaven, Rev.12:3,4,6,7-12; Michael

who[of Dan.12:1-13], is to stand in the time of the end, has Satan and 1/3

angels no longer allowed near heaven.

Heb.5:5 So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high

priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have

I begotten thee.

Gen.14:18 And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and

wine: and he was the priest of the most high God.

Psm.110:4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a

priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Heb.7:21 (For those priests were made without an oath; but this

with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will

not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of

Melchisedec:)

Source(s): Bible.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Hey there,

You can get Letters from Nowhere 2 for free from this link: http://bitly.com/1pnRAfb

it's a perfectly working link, no scam !

Classic arcade style games can be enjoyed by the whole family especially the kids.

Enjoy it.

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

Well the text does say "inherit", however, it Hebrew it was generally used as "taking possession". In this case Jesus was taking possession of a glorious name. “a name is to be chosen rather than abundant riches; favor is better than even silver and gold.” (Proverbs 22:1) Because he had brought honor to Jehovah's name, he would "inherit" a righteous name, worthy of imitating.

Source(s): Jw.org
  • 7 years ago

Jesus Christ’s “name,” therefore, is more excellent than that of God’s angels, in that his name embraces or stands for the vast executive authority that Jehovah has placed in him. (Heb 1:3, 4) Only those who willingly recognize that “name” and bow to it, subjecting themselves to the authority it represents, will gain life eternal. (Ac 4:12) They must, sincerely and without hypocrisy, line up with the standards Jesus exemplified and, in faith, obey the commands he gave.—Mt 7:21-23.

• Rick G
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

When we go back to the previous verses, we see how Jesus "inherited" that name.

(Hebrews 1:1, 2) 1 God, who long ago spoke on many occasions and in many ways to our forefathers by means of the prophets, 2 has at the end of these days spoken to us by means of a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the systems of things.

Notice that Jehovah God had appointed his Son, Jesus to be "heir to all things".

And Paul goes on to speak of Jesus' elevation to the position.

(Hebrews 2:7-9) 7 You made him a little lower than angels; with glory and honor you crowned him, and appointed him over the works of your hands. 8 All things you subjected under his feet.” For in that he subjected all things to him [God] left nothing that is not subject to him. Now, though, we do not yet see all things in subjection to him; 9 but we behold Jesus, who has been made a little lower than angels, crowned with glory and honor for having suffered death, that he by God’s undeserved kindness might taste death for every [man].

Remember that a Father does not have to "die" to pass on an "inheritance". Since Jehovah God will never die, he can give to his children gifts as an inheritance when ever he decides. Jesus is not the only one that is receiving an inheritance.

(Ephesians 1:13, 14) 13 But YOU also hoped in him after YOU heard the word of truth, the good news about YOUR salvation. By means of him also, after YOU believed, YOU were sealed with the promised holy spirit, 14 which is a token in advance of our inheritance, for the purpose of releasing by a ransom [God’s] own possession, to his glorious praise.

(Colossians 3:23, 24) 23 Whatever YOU are doing, work at it whole-souled as to Jehovah, and not to men, 24 for YOU know that it is from Jehovah YOU will receive the due reward of the inheritance. SLAVE for the Master, Christ.

(Hebrews 9:15) 15 So that is why he is a mediator of a new covenant, in order that, because a death has occurred for [their] release by ransom from the transgressions under the former covenant, the ones who have been called might receive the promise of the everlasting inheritance.

(1 Peter 1:3-5) 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, for according to his great mercy he gave us a new birth to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an incorruptible and undefiled and unfading inheritance. It is reserved in the heavens for YOU, 5 who are being safeguarded by God’s power through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last period of time.

• Linda
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

The answer should be clear in verse 1. It's not brain surgery.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.