Jewish people, question about Pope Francis...............?

What has been the impression of the Jewish community of Pope Francis..............?

In terms of questions of how he relates to the Jewish community as a whole, with respect to Israel, and in comparison to how other Popes have interacted with the Jewish community.

He obviously seems pretty popular on other aspects of his career, whether it's reaching out to people from other faiths(praising Muslims on Eid, and calling on Agnostics and Atheists to work together with him for peace) as well as his rather harsh criticisms of poverty and structural inequality.

Link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/2013/12/25/pope_...

@divorah...........ok then.......

Favorite Answer

He seems very nice in general.

I don't know anything about his position on Israel and the Jewish people.

But, my wife works for a Jewish NGO and, while she doesn't like bringing work home (and therefore I don't learn much from her about these things) - she likes him - which leads me to think that he has made some affrimative gestures.

• Feivel

In general...he seems better than Benedict by a long shot. Benedict creeped me out. I had some respect for John Paul who fought against the nazi's in WW2 but none for Benedict who joined the German army (which I know he had little choice about) and re-installed a holocaust denying priest back into not only into Catholicism (he was ex-communicated) but back into the priesthood and his old church.

In general, popes are of no consequence to us any more the Dali Lama or the head of the Mormon church is. They are not part of our faith.

Source(s): Jewish

I have no interest in any Pope and will not until the day that Vatican City chooses to return to us all of the stolen Jewish artifacts they have possession of.

Source(s): Jewish
  • JP

The sentiment I've consistently heard is "a huge improvement over his predecessor."

he's way better then Benedict XVI

this guy actually seems to be doing his job

Source(s): ..

Jewish people rule Washington DC and London (not Vatican)