Why do Koreans discriminate against people in southwest Korea?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago
    Favorite Answer

it's political divide occurred during President Park Chung Hee era from 1963 to 1979 persisted untill Kim Dae Joong elected as the president. Most of the important industries were started in East side of the nation that Southwest(Jeolla) were neglected and impoverished. President Park himself is from Daegu so he is from southeast. I don't know whether this segregation was intentional but it happened and he didn't do much to solve the problem. So anyway, people in southwest denounce military dictatorship from President Park era to Chun Doo Hwan and Noh Tae-Woo. That was when Korea's economy was thriving rapidly. So the rest of population point fingers at them call them uncooperative. It's very old people's problem to discriminate for this reasoning. Young people don't have any issues with this regional issues.

• 7 years ago

Hi. I`m korean high school student, First, We don`t discriminate against southwest korea.

Of course, There are some people who don`t like southwest korea. but it`s just because of their supporting party. southwest korean support the Democratic Party. but southeast korean support The Grand National Party.

But, These days, even there are not those problems in korea. so we don`t have any discrimination, we don`t like each others. what you are asking is past attitude of korea.

Sorry for my bad english. but i hope you can understand what i`m saying. ^^

Thank you for your interests in korea. and i hope you`ll be a korea`s friend.

Have a good day!

• 7 years ago

Because they are shorter and smaller than South Korean children, for speaking with a northern accent, for not keeping up with recent fads, and for being unsophisticated

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.