?

What are your thoughts on Eddie Van Halen as a guitarist ?

Rock & Pop, what do you think about Eddie Van Halen as a guitarist? I personally think that Eddie Van Halen is good, but he's not one of my favorites. His guitar work has a lot of flash, but it doesn't interest me that much. I prefer guitarists such as Bernard Sumner, Robert Smith & Mick Jones because they made really cool, interesting sounds with the guitar that nobody could copy.

BQ: Is Van Halen's Sammy Hagar era really that bad?

BQ2: Who are your top 10 guitarists?

BQ3: Which guitarist do you prefer: Jimmy Page or Eddie Van Halen?

BQ4: What do you think about Eruption by Van Halen?

• Favorite Answer

I love how people discount guitarists when it comes to technical playing. "He acts as if he's a god or something." Well, he is in a way. He has mastered the guitar and forged an unmistakable footprint in musical history. He has every right to play as technically as he wants. I think it's far more pretentious to think that a musician has dedicated his ENTIRE life getting skilled at an instrument to impress YOU. What hogwash.

1. Wasn't that bad. It's a bandwagon hatred.

2. John Petrucci, Paul Waggoner, Tosin Abasi, Michael Akerfeldt, Mark Knopfler, Brent Hinds, Paul Masvidal, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

3. EVH

4. Although anyone who played both piano and guitar could have conceived of tapping, it's a remarkable display of technical prowess, a true benchmark of that era's guitar playing.

• Peepaw

I think Eddie is quite good

BQ1 - I think the Sammy Hagar era was the best.

BQ2

1. Jeff Beck

2. Stevie Ray Vaughan

3. Jimmy Page

4. Eric Clapton

5. Alex Lifeson

6. David Gilmour

7. Richie Blackmore

8. Steve Howe

9. Eric Johnson

10. Richie Sambora

BQ3 - Jimmy Page

BQ4 - "Eruption" is a great guitar solo

• I like Van Halen despite not being a fan of "shredding" and going berserk up and down the neck, just not my style.

Not sure about top ten but my favourite guitarists are Frank Iero, Kurt Cobain, Noel Gallagher, Jared Leto, Robert Smith, Zacky Vengeance, Synyster Gates and Jack White.

Out of Jimmy Page and Van Halen, think im more inclined to go towards Van Helen more.

Eruption is my 2nd fav Van Halen track :)

He inspired me to pick up a guitar back in the 70's. I can't think of a Van Halen song I don't like.

BA: to each his own. I dig it

BA2:

Chuck Schuldiner

Tommy T. Baron

Lee Altus

Wiley Arnett

Billy Gibbons

Adrian Smith

Glenn Tipton

Jake E Lee

Randy Rhoads

Jimmy Page

Jimi Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

Vivian Campbell

BA3: Page

BA4: baddass

Eddie is not one of my favorites but one of the most talented guitar players no doubt. He is creative, fast, fluent and I do enjoy listening to him from time to time.

BQ - No, it's not as good but it's not bad

BQ2 - I won't name 10, my favorite two players to listen to right now are Mark Knopfler and Trey Anastasio

BQ3 - I'd take Eddie actually

BQ4 - Overplayed. he has done much better stuff than Eruption.

As a teenager when VH first began to get noticed ( i am now 50) EVH was the rock guitarist that put the WOW in rock guitar back then(1978-82) !!!!!!! I considered him my fav back in the 80's!!!! I would say that EVH is STILL AWESOME at soon to be 59 next month!!!!!!!!!! HE CAN STILL PLAY!!!!!!! :O :O :O :O :O

Too flashy, he acts as if he is god or something, a overrated tool.

I mean he is a great guitarist but not one of the best.

BQ: Yes, it's horrible, Sammy in general is just a horrible singer.

BQ2: idk tbh

BQ3: Jimmy

BQ4: Too much special effects, nothing special, just a overdone piece of sh*t.

he's great. one of my favorites. glad to have seen him live. the only thing i see wrong about him is that he was not the first guitarist to use tapping-Queen's brian may did it before him on Queen's song, it's late. but he's an awesome guitarist.

one of the best