Even John was troubled, why did Jesus say : And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me"?

11:1 And it came to pass, when Jesus had made an end of commanding his twelve disciples, he departed thence to teach and to preach in their cities.

11:2 Now when John had heard in the prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples,

11:3 And said unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another?

Matthew 11:

11:4 Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things which ye do hear and see:

11:5 The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.

11:6 And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

~~~~~~~

Was there anything offensive in Jesus Christ...?

What was special about how he answered John's doubt here?

Share how these scriptures have impacted you, if your willing...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 7 years ago

(1) Christ's answer to John's disciples.

(2-6) Christ's testimony to John the Baptist.

(7-15) The perverseness of the Jews.

(16-24) The gospel revealed to the simple.

(25-30) The heavy-laden invited.

Some think that John sent this inquiry for his own satisfaction. Where there is true faith, yet there may be a mixture of unbelief. The remaining unbelief of good men may sometimes, in an hour of temptation; call in question the most important truths. But we hope that John's faith did not fail in this matter, and that he only desired to have it strengthened and confirmed. Others think that John sent his disciples to Christ for their satisfaction. Christ points them to what they heard and saw. Christ's gracious condescensions and compassions to the poor, show that it was he that should bring to the world the tender mercies of our God. Those things which men see and hear, if compared with the Scriptures, direct in what way salvation is to be found. It is difficult to conquer prejudices, and dangerous not to conquer them; but those who believe in Christ, their faith will be found so much the more to praise, and honour, and glory.

I believe I agree with the first answerer.

Jesus was saying that John should just trust God as he was doing, and that the fact that he would die on prison shouldn't be something that he was offended at God about.

Mose was a prime example taking things in his own hands, when he should have relied solely on what God had said to do. Moses was angry and upset as I am sure The Christ Jesus was about John..

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 7 years ago

Was there anything offensive in Jesus Christ...?

You bet there was. Everything Jesus showed mankind regarding one God offended all forms of religious thought because the truth would put them "out of business," so to speak. The bottom line is that the truth is so offensive to "everything" unlike truth, that this unlikeness killed Jesus, believing that the truth could be silenced by the death of the flesh

It was the practical application of truth on human minds and bodies that dispelled the doubt John was experiencing, and through the demonstrations of truth by Jesus, John knew the Savior, and this was a special concession Jesus made to enlighten John. It was practical proof made appreciable to the human mind.

• John
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

God had made it so that John the Baptist was in prison. Jesus could have used His power and have all the doors of the prison be be unlocked. But that would be against His Father's wishes and a sin. The followers of John asked Jesus for John's freedom but Jesus said He could not

• 7 years ago

John wanted to make sure that Jesus knew he wanted out of prison. That's what I think anyway. John knew the part of delivering the captives, and thought that perhaps Jesus would see his way to get him out of prison.

I think Jesus was saying that John should just trust God as he was doing, and that the fact that he would die on prison shouldn't be something that he was offended at God about.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

New International Version

Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me."

New Living Translation

And tell him, 'God blesses those who do not turn away because of me.'"

King James Bible

And blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me.

Holman Christian Standard Bible

And if anyone is not offended because of Me, he is blessed

Aramaic Bible in Plain English

“And blessed is he who will not be suspicious of me.”

GOD'S WORD Translation

Whoever doesn't lose his faith in me is indeed blessed

With the surrounding texts in mind, Jesus is telling John not to expect more than the miracles Jesus is performing.

• Keith
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Just an aside here, before I deal with the topic. Do you remember, when Jesus was in the Temple at the age of 12 years old, and his parents Mary and Joseph, were out looking for Him, and were worried about Him, How is attitude was. He was matter of fact, bordering in human terms, and I say this with the most reverence, "cheeky" or "aloof" and people may speculate and say, well they were just concerned. If taken in context of what Jesus had to do, His Father's 'business', before He fully came into to ministry at age 30, we see aspects of His Godhood, for lack of a correct term. In the Temple with the moneychangers. When he curse the fig tree. When he rebuked the Scribes and Pharisees. When they rejected Him as God the Son. When he told Peter, right after praising him "get thee behind me Satan", when he was in the Garden of Gethsemane and they could not stay awake, when he was late for Lazarus, and in his answer or non answer to John the Baptist's query. Jesus is generally, it is safe to say, from my Christian perspective, meek and mild and a perfect teacher, deals with his disciples in love and compassion and the crowds with love and compassion. Yet He was not weak, He was not side tracked in order to complete his mission, he was firm and in dealing with the church people, he hardly ever let them get away with their "traditions" which stood in the way of their belief in Him being the Son of Mary and Joseph/and the Son of God. In Matthew 11ff:to v7:This imprisonment has already been mentioned in Matthew 4:12, but the circumstances leading up to it are not described in detail until 14:3-12, where the manner of John's death is also recounted. 'The works of Christ' refers to His miracles 'He that should come' refers to the predicted Messiah of the OT prophecy whose coming had already been proclaimed by John. 'the blind receive their sight' is an allusion to Isaiah 35:5 and 61:1, where it is stated that this will be one of the works performed by the Messiah. 'the poor have the gospel preached to them' is another allusion to Isaiah 61:1. Hence, Jesus was clearly vindicating His messiahship to John, who may have begun to question why Jesus had left him in prison. 11:8-11'but what went ye out for to see? A prophet?,,,,more, much more (Gr.peris-soteron): The quote in verse 10 is from Malachi 3:1. John was recognized as the foreordained forerunner of the Saviour and, technically, the last of the OT prophets. Thus, he belonged to the OT dispensation. This certainly emphasizes a clear distinction from the OT era and the New Testament. The weakest believer who has the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of the risen Christ, is, therefore, in a more privileged position than the greatest of the OT prophets. 11:12-15:"The kingdom of heaven suffereth violence (Gr. biazomai): The meaning of this saying, and the connection of verses 12-14 with preceding and following contexts, indicates that John opened the kingdom of heaven to Sinners and thus became the culminating point of OT witness. Jesus' statement that 'this is Elijah' indicates the ministry predicted by Malachi 4:5-6:"Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord: And he shall turn, the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse." John began the preaching of the gospel bridging the OT and the NT. I have pondered this scripture for a while now. I would say, Jesus Christ never went against the governing authorities of His day, 'render unto Caesar' and getting the coin out of the fish mouth to pay the taxes. Not that he could not break John out of prison. Think about this. Second, Jesus, death on the Cross, quashes any notions of Him being a tad insensitive to John. He knew what His mission was. John's was ended and the very sinners he came to save, Herod et al, are the ones who took both John's and Jesus life. The Servant is not greater than the Master. One day John would be the Superstar in Heaven and we believers would be witnesses of this. Death must not be feared. John was a human being, and the Holy Spirit's receptacle, however, the Cost of His Discipleship and Service and prophetic mantle, was not different, when Jesus said Luke 11:47:"Woe unto you ! for ye build the sepulchers of the prophets, and your fathers killed them." Finally, John and Jesus could not minister side by side, John was in need of a Saviour and could not fulfill the bitter cup of Jesus death and Godly resurrection. So from a human standpoint, breaking John out of prison, was more of John's human frailty, being hungry and thirsty, and tested and tried, under the circumstances of the prison bars, but when Jesus redeemed us humans, I am sure, John was the first one on the Wall of Fame. Peace

Source(s): The Bible KJV
  • 7 years ago

read the posts all over. Jesus offends the lost. The duck dynasty guy basically paraphrased certain bible verses yet, so many were offended. they weren't offended by Phil Robertson, they were offended by the Words of Christ,Scripture and Christianity. They just blamed the dynasty family as messengers.

• 7 years ago

John the Baptist became an apostate an antichrist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.