Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Best thing to sit on next to campfire?

Assuming you can't use your pack and there are no logs.

What can one bring with which serves as a camp stool?

Talking backpacking here so have to leave the 5 gallon bucket in the car.

The chair should be multi-purpose (such as for example double as a water hauler or tote for gathering firewood)

and should have my coffee ready when I wake up in the morning.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • L.T.M.
    Lv 7
    7 years ago
    Favorite Answer
  • 7 years ago

I agree with Chris W. Do a search for "Thermarest chair sleeve" and you will see the fabric device that let's you make a back-supporting chair out of your closed cell or inflate able ground pad. In fact, Sierra Trading Post has one model on sale right now for $20. It can be used for a firewood hauler. We even used two of them to rig a stretcher once to evacuate a guy who broke his leg. I've had one for years. The side buckles adjust so you can recline at any angle.

If you want to get more creative, I met a hiker once who had rigged his own pack frame using a folding metal and canvas camp chair.

• 7 years ago

The WalkStool, 0.81 kg, weighs almost as much as my Big Agnes Fly Creek tent!

I will keep looking for a rock and carry a backpacking stove instead of a comfort chair.

JetBoil with small fuel canister weighs about 0.5 kg. Carrying wood is a lot more work.

Drop an emergency blanket on the ground, then sit on your sleeping pad if you cannot find a good rock. A Big Agnes Q-Core weighs 0.81 kg, (29 ounces) for the 20x78x3.5 inch pad.

• ?
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

You can buy garden kneelers (or similar)

http://www.millets.co.uk/activities/102508-multi-m... - foam, light weight, folds in half or 3 depending on make.

Or you can go for a more robust camping stool http://www.millets.co.uk/activities/103631-eurohik... but then you have added weight and it doesn't shrink down at all

The sit mat/garden kneelers could be used as a pillow, a seat, or possibly a splint for a broken bone (done that with a foam roll mat)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 7 years ago

If your going on a back-pack hike along a known trail, you are going to find camp sites, fire pits and maybe some log benches providing some assclown didn't throw them into the fire.

• chris
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

there is a kit to turn any thermarest into a chair. also any hammock kit can also double as a chair.

as for getting your coffee ready you will need a servant for that

• Golfer
    Lv 7
    7 years ago

Fire extinguisher might come in handy or you could really get creative and heat up a big rock in the fall/winter or let it stay cool in the summer.

• 7 years ago

There are some nice inflatable chairs online...not sure about how fireproof they are. Then there's this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUST-LIKE-MOM-BATTERY-OPER... may not be comfortable but may fit your requirements better.

• 7 years ago

When all else fails, I sit on my ***.

It also doubles as my ***.

And the coffee will be done if and when I decide to get off my ***......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.