Best thing to sit on next to campfire?

Assuming you can't use your pack and there are no logs.

What can one bring with which serves as a camp stool?

Talking backpacking here so have to leave the 5 gallon bucket in the car.

The chair should be multi-purpose (such as for example double as a water hauler or tote for gathering firewood)

and should have my coffee ready when I wake up in the morning.

• L.T.M.
    Favorite Answer

I agree with Chris W. Do a search for "Thermarest chair sleeve" and you will see the fabric device that let's you make a back-supporting chair out of your closed cell or inflate able ground pad. In fact, Sierra Trading Post has one model on sale right now for $20. It can be used for a firewood hauler. We even used two of them to rig a stretcher once to evacuate a guy who broke his leg. I've had one for years. The side buckles adjust so you can recline at any angle.

If you want to get more creative, I met a hiker once who had rigged his own pack frame using a folding metal and canvas camp chair.

The WalkStool, 0.81 kg, weighs almost as much as my Big Agnes Fly Creek tent!

I will keep looking for a rock and carry a backpacking stove instead of a comfort chair.

JetBoil with small fuel canister weighs about 0.5 kg. Carrying wood is a lot more work.

Drop an emergency blanket on the ground, then sit on your sleeping pad if you cannot find a good rock. A Big Agnes Q-Core weighs 0.81 kg, (29 ounces) for the 20x78x3.5 inch pad.

• ?

You can buy garden kneelers (or similar)

http://www.millets.co.uk/activities/102508-multi-m... - foam, light weight, folds in half or 3 depending on make.

Or you can go for a more robust camping stool http://www.millets.co.uk/activities/103631-eurohik... but then you have added weight and it doesn't shrink down at all

The sit mat/garden kneelers could be used as a pillow, a seat, or possibly a splint for a broken bone (done that with a foam roll mat)

If your going on a back-pack hike along a known trail, you are going to find camp sites, fire pits and maybe some log benches providing some assclown didn't throw them into the fire.

• chris

there is a kit to turn any thermarest into a chair. also any hammock kit can also double as a chair.

as for getting your coffee ready you will need a servant for that

• Golfer

Fire extinguisher might come in handy or you could really get creative and heat up a big rock in the fall/winter or let it stay cool in the summer.

There are some nice inflatable chairs online...not sure about how fireproof they are. Then there's this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/JUST-LIKE-MOM-BATTERY-OPER... may not be comfortable but may fit your requirements better.

When all else fails, I sit on my ***.

It also doubles as my ***.

And the coffee will be done if and when I decide to get off my ***......