Why do people say Angels have freewill?

According to Christianity they do; but (to the Islamic view): Allah says that "They fear their Lord above them, and they do what they are commanded" (Nahl, 50). So, is saying that they have freewill a mistake?

Salam.

H) Sorry; many Christians I have heard from in person have told me that Christians believe Angels have free will. Sorry, if I got that wrong.

Favorite Answer

Salam. Angels have free will in Islam. The verse you quoted refers to the fact that they don't disobey Allah. But it does not mean that they are robotic beings. They are not. They have merits in themselves. They have free will and they CHOOSE to OBEY Allah. If you read Quran, 2:30 and on, you'll see that they question Allah for He mentions of a new creation, human beings..

"Behold, thy Lord said to the angels: "I will create a vicegerent on earth." They said: "Wilt Thou place therein one who will make mischief therein and shed blood?- whilst we do celebrate Thy praises and glorify Thy holy (name)?" He said: "I know what ye know not."" [Quran, 2:30]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZoAni-8CE

Youtube thumbnail

And next verses mention God proving them He is right to create human beings. And once they are convinced, they choose to obey. Thus, they have free will.. They question and they get convinced, thus do not disobey the Lord..

"And He taught Adam the names of all things; then He placed them before the angels, and said: "Tell me the names of these if ye are right." They said: "Glory to Thee, of knowledge We have none, save what Thou Hast taught us: In truth it is Thou Who art perfect in knowledge and wisdom." He said: "O Adam! Tell them their names." When he had told them, Allah said: "Did I not tell you that I know the secrets of heaven and earth, and I know what ye reveal and what ye conceal?" [2:31-33]

Please read the scholarly art'cle here| http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa95...

ma salam

Walaikum salaam.

Muslims believe that the only beings who were created with freewill are humans and jinns. Angels were created to worship and obey Allah.

There's a misconception amongst Muslims that shaytan was an angel, but in reality he is a jinn.

You should speak to a scholar or student of knowledge if you still don't understand.

EDIT: Ali Sayidi-- where's your daleel? Nowhere in Islam is it taught that angels have freewill. Let's take our proof from the Qur'an and sunnah, and not be google sheikhs. Ask a reputable scholar if you lack understanding.

Salam,

Angels do not have freewill. It is a known fact.

The only people who do have free will are 2 creations...

Humans & Jinns

• Mintee

just a little note.. muslims dont believe the devil, lucifer, shatyon or whatever you call him is a fallen angel..

since we muslims dont believe angels have free will, there is no way an angel will become bad.. He/she is only doing what God commands them to do..

the devil is of a different creation.. of the jinns.. he was vain and when all the angels bowed down to Allahs new creation of man, the devil didnt....

jinns have free will of choice just like humans do..

angels dont have the ability to do wrong.. there are hundreds of thousands of them, and they all have a specific duty given to them by God.. and they are only able to do that..

• rapp

Of course they have free will but they also have a stronger love for God unlike humans do, we break the rules and angels try to save us sometimes. It's the choices mankind makes that get mankind into trouble.

• H

I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith and I NEVER heard that the angels had free will. They all did whatever God told them to do. They were many classes of them. Most were warriors. But none of them did things because they felt like it.

The only angel who ever did what he felt like was Lucifer...which was why he was cast out, along with other who felt the way he did. He was jealous of man and disagreed with his father over this and other things.

Angels do not have free will.

• Angels do not *have free will.

And Lol @H - she said angels don't have free will....and then said the "angel lucifer" disobeyed!! If he was an angel he could NOT have disobeyed - because angels don't have free will!!